21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Created on: 01/13/13 02:53 PM Views: 30537 Replies: 103
RE: New here and new to everything-diabetic
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Today is a day of celebration for me...lost 10 lbs in the last month from being on this "way of life"!

I tried my first really vegan recipe today...Mac and "cheese". Takes great but know it would have tasted better if I had the reg soy milk instead of the vanilla flavoured (only thing I had on hand). I will take some to our pot luck today.

Yesterday I made a huge pot of vegetable soup for lunches. Froze most and used up a lot of my left over "fresh" veggies.

Not sure I am getting enough greens these days and will try harder to make a balance as well as eating more beans for protein.

Have a great day! Wink

Edited 02/10/13 10:43 AM
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

headed into week 5 and still going strong!

What a surprise! The vegan mac and cheese dish I took to the pot luck was a hit! The second surpise was that after eating my fill and more at the dinner this morning my blood reading was perfect (4.Cool and weight even! I guess its true that as long as you stay within the diets ground rules then you can eat (almost) all you want.

I leave for my 12 day buisness trip soon and wont be able to take wight readings but hope to keep in line with my "new life". Will keep you posted about how I am doing with 12 days of resturant fare.

Keep going you can do it! Wink

Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Good morning fellow vegineans!

Another pound lost as recorded this morning this makes 11 lbs in about 32 days with little added exercise (although I am trying to change that).

I wonder how much more I would lose if I were on a daily workout routine!! I have lots more energy and my hunger bouts seem to be lessening. I stopped taking my cholesterol pill three days ago (it was lowest dosage) after doing some research about it.

I kind of wonder if the weight loss is happening too fast as I have never lost this much so quickly (or never this much at one diet attempt)but do trust in the program.

Found sweet potato hummus which is now my favorite for spreading on rye crackers.

Keep going people and keep me posted with your thoughts and progress!

Wink

Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM

ronjenk wrote:

Hi all. Last night went out with a group to a sort of upscale resturant and was very disapointed at thier lack of anything much on the menu I could sample. I ended up taking a lettice cranberry salad (that had goat cheese and nuts in it) and a vegetarian pizza (that had white flour crust and way too much cheese). They only offered one pasta dish tht had a seafood cream sauce. They were so late taking and bringing the order that, due to my diabietes, I started feeling dizzy and a bit disorentated, go them to bring me some bread and have learned a lesson. I was expeting a high blood reading this morning and maybe a slight weight gain but things seem to be about the same as yesterday (slight evelvation but stable).

My body has acted differently adjusting to the new intake of food these last 3 weeks and I am having a bit of a time getting adjusted to the signs, syptoms and adjustments to make to my schedual. I will start carring a fuit with me and will eat snacks more often through the day untii things ison out.

I'm not stoping just adjusting. Starting day 22 and in it for a life time! Wink Wink

Thanks for the support and have a great day!

The lessons you learned were maybe (a) eat something small before going out to a group dinner at a restaurant (some multi grain crackers and hummus for instance) (b) REQUEST that they change items (they can leave the goat cheese off the salad; they can probably sub a tomato sauce from the pizza onto the pasta instead of cream sauce; etc) to meet your dietary needs.
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I am a bit concerned over my rapid wieght loss this week. 2 lbs in three days! I am ending my 5th week on Saturday and did have a bout of rapid weight loss in the first two weeks of this menu but then it slowed down until just a couple days ago. The loss has been gradual except for the begining and now.

Any thoughts on this?

Leaving for the west coast for two weeks of work today and will keep you posted about travel and this new way of life.

Keep up the good fight, its more than worth it! Wink

Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM

First day on the road and eating in restaurants.

McDonalds for oatmeal

Large spinach salad with a bowl of tomato soup

Picked up a large veggie tray and apples for snacking and evening meal

My computer died first day on this 12 day buisness trip and will have a new one tommorow, so will write more then

Keep up the vegging!

Wink

Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

First day on the road and eating in restaurants.

McDonalds for oatmeal

Large spinach salad with a bowl of tomato soup

Picked up a large veggie tray and apples for snacking and evening meal

My computer died first day on this 12 day buisness trip and will have a new one tommorow, so will write more then

Keep up the vegging!

Wink

Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Just an fyi, McDonalds oatmeal contains dairy. The oatmeal definitly isn't the worst choice at McDonalds, but I would choose a different venue if you have an option.

Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

ya I figured McDonalds wasn't the best choice but only choice I had. I can see I will have to make some minor exceptions while I am traveling for work like the nuts in the spinach salad and forgot to ask for it without. I am pretty proud of being almost 100% even on the road. Today I had a booth at a convention and right across from me they were giving out samples of candy bars....lots of overweight people crowding the table and my overweight self kept my distance with no real desire to join them.

one day at a time Wink

Posted Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Finally got my new computer up and running after my last one had a meltdown. Its day 1 of week 6 and also the 3 day of a 10 day trip away eating all meals in restaurants (almost all I do breakfast in my room).

My blood levels have never been better and I think I have lost a bit more weight (no scale to use but my belt is down to its last hole so good indicator).
Just about finished the “Eat to Live” book and (ok I am hoping not to offend anyone, just my personal take) I found the book ok but too repetitive. The biggest thing I took from the book so far is that SALAD IS THE MAIN MEAL! With that in mind I found it easy to buy a huge salad (designed for two or more) from a local market (very fresh) and have eaten one of these each day and really feel this is a keeper especially for my trips away from home.

I still snack on apples and my veggies tray and have had some plain pasta with tomato sauce a couple of times so things are going well. I have gotten in a lot of extra walking as well and my energy levels are way up.

So thanks for the support and interest and keep up the journey to better health, I really think we all are on to something!
Wink

Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Not much to report the last two days. I am speaking for 3 hours each morning in schools (almost non stop) so have taken some unsugared dried fruit with me to help me get through the morning.

Had large salad and pasta today basically. I know I am not getting exactly what I want for meals but am very close to it and with my schedule don't have time to do any better.

Unable to monitor weight until I get home next week.

Thanks goodness for apples!!!! Wink

Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Hi All,

Back from my trip and found I had lost another 2 lbs! I am happy with my ability to get at least 90% of what I was looking for in terms of eating in resturants. I do confess I sliped one day and ate a candy bar and an appitiser with cheese on it (neither had what I wanted and really didnt taste all that great)

My blood levels have remained evenl.

I am back home now for two weeks before I leave on another 2 weeperiod of being away but I feel more confident about my ability to stick to this and find what I want while away from home.

I was pleasently surpirsed as to what resturants offer and even found a wonderful vegan salad on a ferry going to Victoria! The salad was made with Quinoa, chickpeas, lettice, mixed vegetables and suhflower seeds.
My first time eating quinoa and will try to find some here.

Will keep you posted, have a vegan good week! Wink

Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

wow, just finshed looking up quinoa and it has lots of good stuff in it and lots of interesting recipies.

Anyone want to share thier take on it or some easy easy recipies?

Is this stuff a bit costly? What about pasta made with it?

Any help is apprechiated and who knows I may even start to enjoy cooking!

Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Quinoa recipes:

Inca Corn Soup

Quinoa Tacos

Quinoa, Zucchini, and Cannellini Beans

I buy quinoa in big bags at Costco. We often use it the same way as rice, just toss some veggies on top and a oil-free sauce.

Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

throw some garlic and chopped onion in a saucepan with a little water or stock. Sweat the garlic and onion (get them warm and soft but not brown). Add the quinoa and stir it around a bit to toast it. Then add the liquid (water, stock) to cook the quinoa.
Just before the quinoa is done cooking, heat up a skillet with a bit of stock or water. Add some chopped up greens (kale, chard, spinach, etc). Let it steam/wilt (takes a minute or two only). Add some cooked chickpeas. Add the cooked quinoa. Mix it all together, add any additional seasoning/flavoring (soy sauce, Bragg's aminos, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, etc). Really simple and yummy. You've got your bean, green, grain all in one dish. You can add other things like carrot, bell pepper, etc. into the skillet to start cooking before adding the greens if you choose for more color.

--DebR

Posted Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Great morning to you all!

Lost another lb and blood levels seem fine. I am soon starting my 3rd month on this new menu and feel great.

I do notice that I need to snack more between meals (which I think is part of my diabities) but have adapted to that. Yesterday I spent one full day in a school giving 35 min presentations (8 times)to grades k-8 and was munching on raw veggies thoughout the day and that seemed to keep me going. I will have 5 consecutive days of that schedual in another week so will go armed for it!

Have been enjoying a lot more leafy greens in my diet the last week. I have a huge bolw of just greens with a bit of low fat dressing and love it just like that. I also keep a veggie tray of raw veggies close to my chair in the evening while watching TV (the veggie trays I know are more costly then preparing your own but just dont have the time to make them up myself, although I have found they are on sale occasionaly or at half price due to freshness date.

Have a great weekend! Wink

Posted Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Hi all,

Been away on a business trip for two weeks and am glad to be back! I was in the Midwestern part of
Canada and found it really really difficult to find the food I wanted in restaurants. Unlike the west coast the Midwest has little to offer for vegan of vegetarian diets and found myself compromising way too many times.

I knew I had gain back a bit of weight but the surprise is that it wasn't as drastic as I thought...only gained back a half a pound! My work there was no stop and had no time for any added exercise and besides that the weather was way to cold for walking.

So am glad to be back to continue my kind of food and my kind of lifestyle!

Will keep in touch and hope everyone is eating right and feeling great! Wink

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Hi all,

I know part of the answer to this question but want your take on it as well. I will always be asked by friends, "So if you don't eat meat where are you getting your protein?" I sometimes ask myself the same question and I know that part of it comes from the Legumes (but I have tended to eat a very limited amount of these to date). I also take a multiple vitamin every day.

Now please remember I am not that much into cooking or long prep time.....so what else do I need to do (or eat) to get my daily dose of protein? Or do I even need to worry about it?

I just got my bike out of storage (first sign of spring for me) and looking forward to more exercise.

Thanks in advance for your comments and help! Wink

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I wouldn't worry about your protein intake. Here is what PCRM has to say about it; The Protein Myth

Also, when you are on the road, are you required to eat in restaurants? You can always find plenty of vegan options at the grocery store.

Edited 03/24/13 7:25 PM
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Jodie wrote:

I wouldn't worry about your protein intake. Here is what PCRM has to say about it; http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=251

Thanks for your help!

Also, when you are on the road, are you required to eat in restaurants? You can always find plenty of vegan options at the grocery store.

This was my second long trip since starting this diet and the first trip I did buy a lot fro grocery stores and had lodging where I could prepare and keep simple menu. This last trip it was impossible to do the same as my lodgings and work timings just didn't allow me to shop or prepare food. I learned from this trip to first..don't push so much in so little time! and secondly to make sure the lodgings I rent have at least basic facilities for meal prep.

Good to be home and eating right again!

Many thanks Wink

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 752 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org