21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Kickstarting 60 day Whole Food Plant-Based-Diet -
Created on: 09/01/13 09:08 PM Views: 3427 Replies: 17
Kickstarting 60 day Whole Food Plant-Based-Diet -
Posted Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I was selected to participate in a 60 day study for the Whole Food Plant-Based Diet. I must admit. I'm a bit nervous. I will kickstart off on 9/7/2013. Any advice? Thanks !![i]

Posted Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Congratulations! Just curious, were you selected for this study because you had been following a whole foods diet? If not, you'll love how you feel after doing this study!

Jen

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM

The study is for 4 different diets. (1) a whole food, plant-based diet (a.k.a, vegetarian – no meat, no dairy), (2) Paleolithic (hunter/gatherer) diet, (3) the Mediterranean diet, and (4) the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet.

I was picked for the whole foods one. I'm excited. I will miss cooking with olive oil and coconut oil. In this study, I can't use any oils.

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I've just started on the DASH diet. I don't care for it and it's taken quite a bit of adjustment after having been trying to follow a vegan diet. But, I have lost 4 pounds since starting it and my blood pressure has gone down. I'm not as low on my blood pressure as I'd like to be yet, but it is down to 124/80. Used to be my blood pressure averaged 110/70.

Jen

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Hi Jen, how long were you on vegan? Why did you stop and go to DASH? My friend who was accepted into the study is in the DASH diet study. But that's typically how she eats anyway. So it will be an easy adjustment.
My blood pressure runs about 118/78

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I've been trying to go vegan for the past year, but living with non-vegans it hasn't always been 100% successful. Also, lots of strain this past year. Loosing my job, my daughter getting married and moving in with a man I neither like or trust, my parents (who are 78 & 79) being in and out of the hospital, my brother loosing his job and going through a messy divorce, etc., etc. My blood pressure shot up due to all the stress and where I didn't take ANY meds for years, now my doctor's put me on lisinopril and told me to loose the weight I put on from stopping smoking.

Jen

Edited 09/02/13 10:53 AM
Cooking without oil
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

How cool! Congrats on getting into the study.

As for cooking without oils, I also thought it would be a huge issue when I first started this way of eating in May. But I found very quickly that it wasn't a problem getting used to sauting with water and my taste buds definitely adjusted. The flavors of foods are much stronger, though, so I've found that I use some seasonings and foods in less amounts. For example, I love garlic but when I cooked with oil, I used more garlic than I do when I cook now with water because the garlic flavor is stronger when not cooked in oil. It might not make a big difference to you, but it might be a good idea to go easy on seasonings until you adjust to your taste buds Razz.

Djuna

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Hi Djuna, thanks for the tips. What I'm trying to do now is get some good, but easy recipes. Also foods I can travel with. I went to a grocer today that carries lots of special foods for vegan diet. But it was still difficult finding canned or packaged vegan foods that were suitable for the study. So, it looks like ill be cooking a lot. Smile

Edited 09/02/13 10:27 PM
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I have enjoyed cooking with olive oil and coconut oil. But getting used to just cooking with water.

Edited 09/02/13 9:41 PM
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Hi Jen, sounds like a rough year. I'm sorry to read all that. Keep in mind you have no control. It's tough to do. But once we realize we can only control ourselves, we tend to move in a healthier direction.

Edited 09/02/13 9:45 PM
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Edited 09/02/13 9:47 PM
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I'm not sure how to delete the duplicate post!! I posted and an error message came up and now there are 4 of the same post. Sorry!

RE: Kickstarting 60 day Whole Food
Posted Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Cindyann wrote:

I was selected to participate in a 60 day study for the Whole Food Plant-Based Diet. I must admit. I'm a bit nervous. I will kickstart off on 9/7/2013. Any advice? Thanks !![i]

Cindyann,

This sounds like a great experience! Are you able to share who is conducting the study? What guidelines are established for you to follow? Is there a website?

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Sure here is one section. The other section is for participates. In the study I cannot cook with any oils. I normally use olive oil or coconut oil. So it's an adjustment in that area for me.

Plant Based Arm Resources.docx (1124.5 KB)

Edited 09/05/13 11:56 AM
Posted Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Sorry link won't work...

Edited 09/05/13 11:57 AM
Posted Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

[url][url]https://webmail.east.cox.net/do/mail/message/download?msgId=INBOXDELIM80427&part=2

RE: Kickstarting 60 day Whole Food
Posted Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Cindyann wrote:

Sure here is one section. The other section is for participates. In the study I cannot cook with any oils. I normally use olive oil or coconut oil. So it's an adjustment in that area for me. https://webmail.east.cox.net/do/mail/message/download?msgId=INBOXDELIM80384&part=3

Cindyann,

Both of the url addresses lead me to a webmail login page Crying or Very sad

Tip on the no oil cooking - it is easier than you might think! I will use veg broth as a saute, just keep adding as needed (it cooks down) so you don't burn - and it makes SUCH savory veggies! I also crunch-cook veggies all the time in my Instant Pot and then top with light sauces. You won't want to go back! Lots of ideas in the 21 Day Materials and grab a copy of the Plant-Based Blueprint for a ton of fat free simple food prep ideas too.

Can't wait to hear more about your adventure!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

RE: Kickstarting 60 day Based-Diet -
Posted Saturday, October 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Hi! I was just wondering how your "JOURNEY" was going. I know you still have more time on this,but are you able to give us an update?

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 462 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org