21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Favorite Veggie Burger Recipe
Created on: 06/26/14 02:19 PM Views: 1236 Replies: 22
Favorite Veggie Burger Recipe?
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Last week I made New York Times Veggie burgers from the Engine 2 Diet book. They're our new favorite burger. I've had trouble with veggie burgers staying together but these do. My son requested them again this week.

Anyone else have a favorite veggie burger recipe?

Deborah

Edited 06/26/14 2:20 PM
RE: Favorite Veggie Burger Recipe
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Could you please post the recipe for your veggie burger, including ingrdients and cooking instructions, on this website? It would ne most useful (and less expensive than purchasing the cookbook in which it appears). I am a rabid vrggis burger fan, but am rather pickey about consistency and color of the patties. Thank you so much.

Could you please post the recipe for your veggie burger, including ingrdients and cooking instructions, on this website? It would ne most useful (and less expensive than purchasing the cookbook in which it appears). I am a rabid vrggis burger fan, but am rather pickey about consistency and color of the patties. Thank you so much.

Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Here's a link to the Engine 2 Diet's New York Times Veggie Burger-

http://engine2diet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/NY-Times-Veggie-Burgers.pdf

Posted Friday, June 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Here is my favorite bean burger:
Spicy Bean Burgers

Makes 10 Burgers
2 (15oz) cans of Pinto beans with Jalapeno peppers, rinsed and drained
1 (16oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup uncooked quick oats
4 green onions, chopped
½ cup ketchup
1 tsp garlic salt (I used powder)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Mash beans in a large bowl. Stir in oats and next 4 ingredients. Shape into 4 inch patties. Cook on medium high heat until brown.
The original recipe called for an egg and liquid smoke. They don't hold together well enough to cook on a grill but do quite nicely in my non-stick electric skillet.

Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Deborahjm...Thanks you so much for this amazing veggie burger recipe that does not have soy in it...oh joy! I apologize for not sending this thank you sooner...life has a way of interfering with some of our most important courtesies...so, again, thank you for your wonderful recipe. Very kind of you. Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Deborahjm...Thanks you so much for this amazing veggie burger recipe that does not have soy in it...oh joy! I apologize for not sending this thank you sooner...life has a way of interfering with some of our most important courtesies...so, again, thank you for your wonderful recipe. Very kind of you. Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM

We got a vegan grilling cookbook back when we started this path and they had several burger patty recipes. They tested them on non-vegans for taste, texture, etc. They also had a list of Dos and Don'ts - big don't is don't use rolled oats, they tend to make a mushy burger. Do however put the patty on a good hearty bun (if you're using a bun) something sprouted, something whole grain, something sourdough or rye or pumpernickel but not the standard wheat/white bun because you need something firm to complement the usually more tender texture of a non-meat patty.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, August 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM

CarmenD wrote:

You're very welcome, Carmen. We're all here to help each other.

Posted Thursday, August 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM

deborahjm wrote:

We're all here to help each other.

Speak for yourself Deborah. I'm here to kill time and discuss my superhero odourless gas.

That said, my favourite veggie burger is the "Spinach Chickpea Burgers" from the China Study Cookbook.

Wash your back

Edited 08/21/14 4:38 PM
Posted Friday, August 22, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Theodore, your superhero odorless gas is indispensable if you're the Invisible Man.

Haven't seen the China Study Cookbook but Spinach Chickpea Burgers sound delicious.

Edited 08/22/14 2:03 AM
Posted Sunday, August 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM

This is the link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-China-Study-Cookbook-Plant-Based/dp/1937856755

I included the recipe for the spinach chickpea burgers in my original post but then I suddenly got worried about copyright infringement and deleted it. I'm still not sure how that works.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, August 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Thanks for the link, Theodore. You were right not to post the recipe. I'll probably purchase the book.

Posted Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 12:39 AM

theodore wrote:

This is the link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-China-Study-Cookbook-Plant-Based/dp/1937856755

I included the recipe for the spinach chickpea burgers in my original post but then I suddenly got worried about copyright infringement and deleted it. I'm still not sure how that works.

Finally tried the spinach chickpea burgers. They tasted similar to falafel to me. I would have liked them in a pita with some tzatziki sauce. Definitely will make them again!

Posted Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Excellent, Deborah. The China Study Cookbook is my favourite cookbook. Although, for desserts I use Chef AJ - Unprocessed, Ramses Bravo - Bravo, and Alan Goldhamer - The Health Promoting Cookbook.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM

It all sounds delicious. Thank you all for sharing links and recipes. Looking forward to get started.... Very Happy

Posted Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Theodore, I'm familiar with Chef AJ but not the other two. Will check them out. Have you tried the Leek Pie recipe from the China Study Cookbook? I don't think it will be close to traditional leek pie but looks good. The Eggplant Bake wasn't great but I had to make a couple of substitutions so might have been my fault. Rolling Eyes

Posted Friday, September 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Yeah I've tried the leek pie Deborah. That's one of my favourites.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 12:34 AM

The Leek Pie recipe in the China Study Cookbook is now a favorite here too, Theodore. I checked the book out at the library. Looks like I'll have to purchase another cookbook.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 61 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org