21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: how to know if something has trans fat?
Created on: 02/01/14 03:18 AM Views: 1078 Replies: 7
how to know if something has trans fat?
Posted Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 3:18 AM

happy february everyone! In this new month, I hope to continue being a better label reader. I also hope to have less processed foods or try to have none at all.

But just incase I have something that is packaged, for example, how would I know if the item had trans-fat?
Is there a difference between 'partially hydrogenated oil' or hydrogenated oil? What about palm oil, is it vegan?

I also heard that many snack foods can contain bone char in the sugar! this is terrible. But of course, these are all good reasons to avoid the foods in the first place, even if they ARE non-dairy ( like Oreos, or Pop-tarts, maybe pudding mix? )

RE: how to know if something has trans fat?
Posted Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 5:53 AM

To make it easier I just avoid ALL added oils. Extracted oils are highly processed, calorie dense and offer no nutritional value.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Agree with Wild4Stars above! Partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated are essentially the same. Palm oil is vegan, but it mostly consists of saturated fat, so the worst kind for your body.

As far as bone in sugar, it is a way some sugars are processed. If concerned, there are sugars marked vegan.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Palm oil production is also responsible for the clearing of forest in Indonesia, seriously impacting the habitat of the organgutan...a very close "relative" to humankind.

So - not only do we continue to clog our arteries with fats and kill ourselves slowly, we continue to make sure other species die too.

One more reason to read labels and not purchase products containing palm oil!

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Thank you all! I am realizing how misleading these labels can be. How many times someone has told me, 'yes you can have non-dairy creamer because it has no milk' but then it has casein or whey...or it may be lactose-free but still has dairy in some form, not to mention the terrible oils!

So...we ought to avoid the hydrogenated oils for sure, as well as palm oil?

I admit I am not feeling confident enough to drink coffee/ tea black. But the artificial sweeteners and creamers really have a powerful addictive cycle, very shocking! Maybe I ought to just stick to the 'real' sugar, even just a tablespoon can't be that harmful. And I am not having much processed sugar or carbs in other ways...mainly brown rice and 'brown' breads, oats. Hope that is okay!

Posted Monday, February 3, 2014 at 8:35 AM

kittens09 wrote:

Thank you all! I am realizing how misleading these labels can be. How many times someone has told me, 'yes you can have non-dairy creamer because it has no milk' but then it has casein or whey...or it may be lactose-free but still has dairy in some form, not to mention the terrible oils!

I admit I am not feeling confident enough to drink coffee/ tea black. But the artificial sweeteners and creamers really have a powerful addictive cycle, very shocking! Maybe I ought to just stick to the 'real' sugar, even just a tablespoon can't be that harmful. And I am not having much processed sugar or carbs in other ways...mainly brown rice and 'brown' breads, oats. Hope that is okay!

Look for raw sugars rather than refined white sugar - the bone char is generally used as a bleaching agent, so if it's not bleached, it's less likely (though possible) to have been processed with bone. You might also look into alternate sweeteners like raw agave or stevia.

Yes, avoid ALL hydrogenated anything, even "partially". My 15 yr old son learned at around age 5 how to recognize that word on labels because we found that it caused him "tummy aches". He loved a brand name toaster pastry (the brightly colored marketed to kids things with flavored fillings). Back then we were nowhere near veg*n. So, I'd buy him his favorites. Then he noticed that if he had them and then ran around (and when is a 5 yr old boy NOT running around?! lol) his tummy hurt. I found a similar organic item to try. We also found a recipe to make a similar item ourselves. Neither of those types caused that problem. So we compared labels on the two commercial varieties (one standard and one organic, same flavor for consistency) and discovered that partially hydrogenated fat was really the only difference in the ingredients. We started staying away from that right then.

--DebR

Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

kittens09 wrote:

I've been using almond milk and evaporated cane juice in my black tea and it has been great. I make the almond milk myself with my blender. (then I re-purpose the almond pulp into awesome crackers) And for those allergic to nuts, there's recipes online for making your own rice milk and I think maybe even your own oat milk.

Posted Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 2:55 AM

I make the almond milk myself with my blender. (then I re-purpose the almond pulp into awesome crackers) And for those allergic to nuts, there's recipes online for making your own rice milk and I think maybe even your own oat milk.[/quote]

Can you share a recipe for the almond milk and for the crackers?

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 333 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org