21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Let's support each other
Created on: 12/31/12 12:23 PM Views: 12018 Replies: 77
Let's support each other
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hi - I am a foodaholic and made it all the way through the September Kickstart - my first weight loss success in several years. I lost 12 pounds, and felt like I had finally found a lifestyle that would work for me. I love that being vegan has benefits to the planet as well as my own health.

Unfortunately, my foodie urges got the best of me once I was off the 'plan'. I slowly started adding dairy when we were at a restaurant, then at home, and finally even put meat back into my diet. Now my weight is back up even higher and I'm starting to feel the effects in my joints and overall health. I'm not diabetic yet, but I'm sure diabetes or heart disease is in my future if I don't turn this train around.

If you're also working to overcome emotional eating and would like to share this journey and be accountable to each other, let's connect here. I have nearly 100 pounds to lose, so I know this has to be a lifestyle change - not just a diet. I also know if we can lose the weight, we can be great ambassadors for the vegan lifestyle and help others leave a smaller and shallower footprint too.

RE: Let's support each other
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 3:09 PM

To: Never2Late

I just read your recent post. I would like to stay in touch to support each other. I have had a somewhat similar experience as you. Were you thinking that those who have had a similar experience and are interested in supporting one another do so through this forum? Or, we're you thinking that we would email one another?

Thank you so much for initiating this.

Edited 12/31/12 3:11 PM
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Supporting thru a forum like this is safe and the more prople you learn and share from/with , the better. This is a wonderful plan/program you do not change your way of eating on the 22ed day....use all the information and recipes you have now to experiment and make this lifestyle your own.

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Thank you for replying Food4thought and KGarden. I think we can certainly start on this forum. i believe there are ways to send private messages if needed - and if email is easier, I'm happy to oommunicate that way.

Let's just keep it flexible and we can go where the journey leads. Glad to have your support!
Let's do this!!

Edited 01/12/13 8:22 AM
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM

oh good luck Kay...I just wrote a new message in the forum titled Sugar,Fat,Salt, OH MY! and it sort of explaines my situation briefly...see if you can find it.

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Hi, Kay:

I have been following a mostly vegan diet at home recently. Unfortunately, there have been occasions where I have brought some non-vegan food for other family members, and have ended up eating some.

A bigger issue for me is when I am not home--either in a restaurant or someone else's home. Maintaining a vegan diet under those circumstances has been very difficult for me. My discipline and willpower fades when I am with other non-vegan people.

I need to succeed at this for weight reduction and other health reasons. I look forward to supporting each other and any other members of this forum who similarly struggle with food issues.

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Hi, Kay:

I have been following a mostly vegan diet at home recently. Unfortunately, there have been occasions where I have brought some non-vegan food for other family members, and have ended up eating some.

A bigger issue for me is when I am not home--either in a restaurant or someone else's home. Maintaining a vegan diet under those circumstances has been very difficult for me. My discipline and willpower fades when I am with other non-vegan people.

I need to succeed at this for weight reduction and other health reasons. I look forward to supporting each other and any other members of this forum who similarly struggle with food issues.

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Food4thought wrote:

Always eat before you go out, better decisions are made on a full tummy. Then you can be happy ordering a side salad or baked potato, maybe some steamed veggies. Mexican restaurants are easy, lots of veggies and corn tortillas, beans (if not cooked w/ animal products or oil), Thai and Chinese have rice and veggies.

Eating at someone's house, tell them your restrictions before the event. Offer to bring something that you know you can eat. Most friends are more interested in your company than what's on your plate.

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM

great advice Jodie.

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM

That is great advice Jodie. Eating out is a problem area for me too. Together we can conquer these difficult situations! I will look for your other post, Garden. Thanks! Happy New Year all!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Never2Late wrote:

Hi - I am a foodaholic and made it all the way through the September Kickstart - my first weight loss success in several years. I lost 12 pounds, and felt like I had finally found a lifestyle that would work for me. I love that being vegan has benefits to the planet as well as my own health.

Unfortunately, my foodie urges got the best of me once I was off the 'plan'. I slowly started adding dairy when we were at a restaurant, then at home, and finally even put meat back into my diet.

Hi Never2Late,

I will be interested to see how things go for you and others in similar situations (myself included) now that the kickstart is being held monthly. Sometimes we need longer term support than the 21 days offers - which is literally just a kickstart period as it takes 3-weeks to change a habit. We start out really motivated and do well during those 21 days but fall back into old habits later. This forum will be here at the end of the 21 days so keep checking in with questions and for support. Good luck.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Yes kiwi...changeing is a life long proccess....it is for everyone who want to improve in some way, once you realize that and not be afraid of the challenge, youve won the battle. Just be mindful what your eating and why, let it go if you over ate on a holiday or in responce to an emotional time...then get back to makeing thoes smart choices again...it gets to the point where the smart choices become your way of life most of the time Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I think the ongoing kickstarts will be a big help. I also appreciate the advice about forgiving an occasional transgression and just trying to make the right choices almost all the time. Heck, if I could do that, I wouldn't be 100 pounds overweight for long. Hope you are all having a successful first day. Kay

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Hi Never2Late,
I'm a food addict as well and have tried multiple methods to try and stop the unhealthy binge eating. I even went to OA meetings for a while. However, after doing all the research and gaining so much knowledge, I'm excited about this plan where I can eat until I'm full without guilt. I'm also excited I found this Kickstart program with forum because I don't have anyone around me yet that is as excited about this lifestyle change as I am. We can definitely all support each other here!

Food4thought wrote:

That was my downfall too. What I am doing is telling my close friends what I am doing - I'm even buying one of them a McDougall cookbook because she wants to support me but doesn't know what to make. When going to a friend's home, offer to bring a dish and make it a low-fat vegan one. That way you know you'll have something healthy and filling to eat.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Welcome Amanda! Glad to have you here! I actually finally broke down and went to an OA meeting several years ago. I was so grateful for it - and would you believe, it was the last meeting ever held in my region? That really sent me into a downward spiral that has lasted several years.

What a great idea to give a good friend a vegan cookbook - and offer to bring a vegan dish. I will bank both of those!

I hope everyone is having a great day two. We can do this! Kay

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Reese's cups keep calling my name.... Mad I even went so far as to take the lid off the candy jar on my secretary's desk - but stopped myself and walked away. I'm going to celebrate the small victories - heaven knows, I've beat myself up over the small infractions plenty of times... Hope you are all having a good day. K

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Stick to it K...really between habits,exposure and you are probably fighting a sugar, fat,salt addiction...you will have to use some will power occasionally....IT WILL GO AWAY....the more you eat whole foods and reduce the amount of refined,processed foods and fats, you will begin to really tast the food again...and its pretty darn good! When your nourished and takeing care of yourself, you wont crave junk as much...sometimes it helps to analize your choice...look at the nutrition facts on the pkg. then decide if you want to eat it...and why.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

@Never2Late, I hear you on the Reese's! I was addicted to those for years, eating 6 at one sitting. One thing stopped me cold in my tracks and I stopped eating them: My sister took a class on insects at UC Berkeley which reported that Reese's peanut butter cups have the highest number of insect parts in them, out of all candy! Hope this helps you.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Well if insects won't stop me, I don't know what would! Thanks for the support and the tip!

I know last time I did the kickstart after a few days, the cravings subsided substantially. I'm glad you all are here to help me get through those few days!

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Keep going strong, Kay! The battle not to start with one piece is smaller than the battle to stop after eating one. Like the others say, the cravings will go away. You (and me both!) need to go through the sugar "detox" to reprogram our brains and taste buds.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 137 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org