21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Coumadin's Vitamin K Restrictions
Created on: 07/18/13 11:22 AM Views: 855 Replies: 2
Coumadin's Vitamin K Restrictions
Posted Thursday, July 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Husband and I are happily at day-11 of the KickStart Program. As we’re both retired (ages 80 and 6Cool, I have had, for some years now, the time (and inclination) to cook most meals from scratch, and we’re financially comfortable enough to purchase the necessary products. My challenges are: 1) we generally eat only 2 meals per day (breakfast and mid-afternoon dinner), supplemented with nutritious snacks), and 2) since husband’s stroke (he’s fully recovered) 17 months ago, he’s been on Warfarin, which means limitation and/or balancing of Vitamin K intake. Challenge #1 is not much of a problem. But as we are tipping the scales towards a higher percentage of vegetables in our diet (a good thing!), I’m having more difficulty in INR management. We WON’T consider changing to a newer medication -- Warfarin has a 70+-year proven history, and we don’t want to be guinea pigs for the newer drugs! Any suggestions to ease the Vitamin K complication?

RE: Coumadin's Vitamin K Restrictions
Posted Thursday, July 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

The good news with Coumadin is that your physician can adjust your dosage based on how many vitamin K-rich foods you choose to eat! The key is to be consistent with your intake. If you can commit to eating greens on a regular basis, which is a good thing, then a new dosage may be in order!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Coumadin's Vitamin K Restrictions
Posted Thursday, July 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Yeah, my mom's been on Coumadin since the mid 1960s - she just decides how much she wants in terms of green veggies and they calibrate to that. Of course, that also means she must eat about that much of whatever each day - incentive to keep up with the veggies. Occasionally, she might want to change something, so she consults with her dr. about it and they do the appropriate evaluation at the new level and sort it all out.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 554 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org