21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Energy Down
Created on: 02/19/13 08:26 PM Views: 1425 Replies: 6
Energy Down
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Hi I stated the Kickstart on Feb 1st. I'm becoming vegan for weight loss, health and to see if this is a good way to bring up my children and change their eating habits. I have an underactive thyroid and Wilson's Syndrome (related to the underactive thyroid)for which I take medication and even on medication struggle with my energy levels and fatigue.

I love that I don't feel very hungry eating Vegan and am easily satisfied as normally I'm a huge eater. I find if I have a couple of days of not being too hungry then I will feel hungrier the next couple of days and want heavier food like bread.

I've lost about 2 kg's so far (which is slower than I'd like) and my energy levels are in the toilet.
What can I do to increase my energy levels because I want to stay eating vegan as I love it but need to feel well and have energy.........?

I'm still drinking coffee with soy milk and an artificial sweetener (will change this to stevia) is Coffee OK on a vegan diet. I'm sure I read somewhere on the website that it is .......?

Any suggestions please
Cheers

RE: Energy Down
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Hi! Two kilograms lost (4.4 pounds) in under a month is actually quite a bit. Anything more could be too fast, reflecting water weight lost or non-permanent weight loss.

As for fatigue, the goal for you is to keep the high fiber choices up, therefore, keeping your blood sugars (energy levels) stable. Eating less at one time but more often may also help (so digestion is not taking up all your energy). So same amount of food but spread out throughout the day. Avoid eating too close to bedtime too. Digestion can disrupt sleep for some.

Coffe is fine! But I would avoid it close to bedtime as well. Anything that disturbs your sleep is no good for feeling well-rested.

And of course, enjoy lots of pure water too.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

watch the soy - it may/can interact with thyroid medications. I avoid 'bulk' soy like soy milk, tofu, tempeh, etc. (although fermented soy like tempeh in small amounts would probably be okay).

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I would offer to make sure you're taking a B-12 supplement. You may want to check with your doctor too to look at bloodwork in case you need to adjust your thyroid medicine as well.

Also, using sugar could contribute to energy lows. If I feel low I try to have an apple or orange, that usually helps me. Good luck1

I would offer to make sure you're taking a B-12 supplement. You may want to check with your doctor too to look at bloodwork in case you need to adjust your thyroid medicine as well.

Also, using sugar could contribute to energy lows. If I feel low I try to have an apple or orange, that usually helps me. Good luck!

Also, using sugar could contribute to energy lows. If I feel low I try to have an apple or orange, that usually helps me. Good luck!

Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Sorry about the triple post. Jeez.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 317 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org