21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: MEET IRENE an Unlikely vegan DOC
Created on: 01/19/12 09:22 PM Views: 4289 Replies: 7
MEET IRENE an Unlikely vegan DOC
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

For those of you who may not know about the Documentary MEET IRENE an Unlikely vegan, please allow me to fill you in.

For those of you who already know, just so you don't have to read this whole thing, I have posted the first "teaser" snippet here: http://blip.tv/gryphon-media-productions/meet-irene-snippet-1-5898519. I hope it will let you MEET IRENE and get to know her a bit. I will be posting snippets regularly as I progress with the documentary. If you are not following us on Facebook, please do. You can see the trailer there. http://www.facebook.com/an.unlikely.vegan.

For those who don't know about this project, just before the April 2011 Kickstart I decided to make a documentary about a woman named Irene who had agreed to do the Kickstart. She was, as she put it, sick and tired of being sick and tired, and wanted to change her life in a big way. As a documentary maker I thought that her story would be perfect for my next project. Little did I realize at the beginning that it was actually my story too.

Irene agreed to the plan, not really understanding what she was getting herself into. She did insist that I "do it too" as she said. Truth be told, I have no idea why I had not become a vegan long before this point. I had been a vegetarian for a few decades. I was one of those "I can't live without cheese" vegetarians, but I think I knew unconsciously that vegan was what I should do. So we agreed, and the documentary project MEET IRENE an Unlikely vegan was born.

Now that you have almost finished your Kickstart, perhaps your first, I would like to invite you to follow the documentary too. There is a trailer just about everywhere online, but Youtube seems to be the easiest for most folk. On Youtube it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpE7DUnTtQo. We are also building a community of support for this project on Facebook. The page is here: http://www.facebook.com/an.unlikely.vegan.

This is an unfunded project. I own and operate a small editing/post video facility, so I know that this project will get done, but I can't say exactly when we will be releasing the movie. We progress as we are able. I thought it would be a good idea, considering this, to share bits from the movie as the editing progresses. Today I released the first of these snippets. You can see it on the facebook page, or on Youtube here: http://youtu.be/GHCxyBSj97M. You can also see the trailer on the Facebook page. Please follow us, and help to share this project. One of our hopes is that my network, multiplied by your network, will allow us to do big things together.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

RE: MEET IRENE an Unlikely vegan DOC
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Wow! Looks great. Can't wait to see more.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM

So is Irene still eating a plant based diet?

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Essentially she is. She admits to having an egg or two "once in a while". I last spoke with her about 10 days ago... nine months after this all started, and she mentioned that she was still loosing weight, slowly and in a healthy way. She reports that she has not succeeded so well with the need to cut stress. She feels that she is still overworked, but that the nutrition part of her life is making things easier to deal with.

Irene was really surprised by the public support locally, and the visibility of the project this caused. She is known as "a character", or a "card" as we say locally. She works tirelessly on almost every community board you can think of, and is forever exhausting herself helping others, yet people can relate to her. Even so, she insists that she likes to "fly under the radar" and is uncomfortable with the spotlight. I am trying to leave her alone for a while, even though the truth is that most folk around her know and enjoy her wit and laughter.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Monday, March 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

It is hard to believe that A WHOLE YEAR has passed since I talked Irene into "going vegan" with the Kickstart, so I could make a documentary about it. I was just a vegetarian then, and she said, I will if you will, and the rest will be a documentary!

We thought we would be finished by now, but alas, we didn't have much luck with funding... but we are still at it, as lulls in work that pays the bills allows. I just thought I would share this status update Irene posted on our Facebook page earlier today. If you are not already following us... we are at http://www.facebook.com/an.unlikely.vegan. We are posting teasers, the trailer is there, and there are TONS of photos from the production. The best part so far though is what Irene said today:

"Well, it's almost a year since I started an unlikely journey and it has been interesting to say the least! I wasn't even remotely close to the perfect candidate for this...as Madeline could readily attest to! I was actually rather difficult when I realized how "in your face" this was.

When I didn't want to eat certain things that were supposedly good for me, I simply refused to eat them no matter what my mentors told me. That was frustrating for them but normal for me!However, we made it....we did it together and I'm going to continue to live healthier and stay that way, so thanks for that!

Of all the things I am most thankful for in this venture, being healthier is what I value the most. I've lost a total of 60 lbs so far and I'm planning to lose 20 more to reach my personal goal. I can do things that I couldn't do a year ago and that is another thing I'm grateful for. There are so many little things you simply take for granted....like putting your own socks and shoes on. Pretty simple!

I look forward to seeing the final product but will have to settle for snippets for now....it's all good!! The name of the video is so appropriate....I surely am "An Unlikely Vegan".

We are hoping to finish for this Spring... not the Fall 2011 the trailer says... oops, sorry about that Smile

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I think the later the better. There's still alot of buzz over Forks Over Knives. You might be overshadowed if you release it too soon.

Wash your back

Posted Monday, March 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I just put up Snippet 2 from the documentary MEET IRENE an Unlikely vegan. This one is from our very first day of the Kickstart, back in April 2011. Since Irene has recently reported in, and we know she is doing great, I thought it would be fun to show a little bit of where she was at when she started a whole year ago. Enjoy! Here is the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTmxpsfNQEQ

If you are not following us on Facebook, please do here: http://www.facebook.com/an.unlikely.vegan.. You can see the trailer there. You can also share, like and comment to your heart's content. We appreciate it! This is an unfunded project, so we are "banking" on public awareness.

The trailer says Fall 2011. The current estimate is soon Smile

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM

isee...the world is changing so fast...

Best DVD -pretty little liars season 2 dvd makes our recommandation rewarding.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 445 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org