21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: June Kickstart wish me luck...
Created on: 05/30/13 04:08 PM Views: 1707 Replies: 9
June Kickstart wish me luck...
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Anyone else starting on June 1st? I would love some support.

My history:

Ive been fat since kindergarten. The lightest I have ever been was at age 20 at 170lbs as a vegetarian eating the same beans and rice dish every day...but I had body dysmorhia and gained it all back eating cheese products! All the way up to 247 pounds!

By age 29 I was no longer vegetarian and lost 30 pounds following the low carb paleo diet.

I have since had a baby, gained it all back and am currently breastfeeding but likely weaning in a few months. My blood sugar was in poor shape while pregnant. I am now willing to give vegan another try...even though the word carb has been ingrained in my brain as BAD!

RE: June Kickstart wish me luck...
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Welcome!! Yes, let's re-introduce you to healthful carbs like whole grains, vegetables, beans, and fruits! The thinnest cultures on this planet eat mostly carbohydrates!

You obviously have your hands full, so some preparation may be in order. Don't get too hung up on making all the different recommended recipes. Do what you can. Load up on canned and frozen foods like black beans, corn, chic peas, lima beans, and fruits. Get ready to have lots of oatmeal for breakfast. But make it tasty with dried fruits, cinnamon, and a touch of vanilla soy or almond milk.

I think you are going to be so surprised how good you feel while FILLING UP on all of this fiber. You won't be hungry, and down the road, cravings for fatty foods will disappear (or at least not have control over otherwise good decisions).

Very exciting! Thanks for joining us!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Hi there, I started the kick-start back April 1st and I am still going - in fact me and hubby are still going strong. Since starting I have lost over 15 lbs. I have struggled with weight gain as well - and would like to lose a total of 30-35 lbs. Although initially my goal was to lose weight - since being on the vegan plan, my goal is to continue being vegan even after reaching my weight-loss goal. I just can't get over all of the health benefits with eliminating animal products from my life. I always struggled with guilt in eating animal products NOW I feel I am being true to myself and true for my love of all animals - sure makes me feel great and that I can make a differnce in preserving a life. All the best to you - the recipes are vey good - the internet has a wealth of information available as well and many great sites to source vegan recipes. Sometimes it may be hard to get your head around as to what to eat - what I do is pick a main veggie for the day.....i.e. kale or collard greens etc etc - I then go to the web and search vegan recipes for the item - I find I plan my meals around the veggie where I use to plan my meat around the meat.. i.e... chicken - and go from there. I now centre the meal around a veggie - seems to working pretty good - using a couple of good vegan recipe books and as well as the internet....some of the veggies I had never ate before - didnt have a clue how to prepare etc - I have found that just by googling "how to prepare kale" for example - I was able to find youtube demonstrations for everything new to me......I have always been a decent cook - but many of the items were new to me. I purchased a Vitamix as well - I am now making my own almond milk, flours, bread, sauces, soups and smoothies - it's great - everyday is a new adventure - we have hardly had the same meal twice - makes it interesting and keeps us going - no more routine mondame meals ...and no more grease either. Keep us posted on your progress.....and drink plenty of water....I add lemon juice to my water and drink a ton of it everyday.

You can do it - all the best.....

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

while you're nursing, also remember that you CAN have more fat (a little more) than the kickstart generally aims for because you need it (your baby needs it). That doesn't mean going hog wild but it does mean you can add a spoonful of peanut butter to toast - or, if you're like my hubby, to your oatmeal! Also, if you take the rolled oats and add the proper portion of plant milk instead of water, and some dried fruit, you can cover it and set it in the fridge overnight then add cinnamon, a small handful of nuts, fresh fruit, whatever you like to it and have a ready to go cold oatmeal porridge without any morning time prep (if mornings are busy). Refreshing on really hot muggy mornings.
DebR

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Thank you for the replies...I will keep you updated. Technically Ive already started with a few slip ups here and there. Finding what to eat at work if I dont pack lunch is challenging. For example, the Indian retaurant has a veggie lunch special but serves white rice and does not carry brown rice. Do I just skip the rice?

thanks again

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

No - we've got nothing against white rice!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

while you're nursing, also remember that you CAN have more fat (a little more) than the kickstart generally aims for because you need it (your baby needs it). That doesn't mean going hog wild but it does mean you can add a spoonful of peanut butter to toast - or, if you're like my hubby, to your oatmeal! Also, if you take the rolled oats and add the proper portion of plant milk instead of water, and some dried fruit, you can cover it and set it in the fridge overnight then add cinnamon, a small handful of nuts, fresh fruit, whatever you like to it and have a ready to go cold oatmeal porridge without any morning time prep (if mornings are busy). Refreshing on really hot muggy mornings.
DebR

yum!!! Will be putting almond milk in my oatmeal!

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

DebR

yum!!! Will be putting almond milk in my oatmeal!

Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 1:57 AM

mercy96 wrote:

Anyone else starting on June 1st? I would love some support.

My history:

Ive been fat since kindergarten. The lightest I have ever been was at age 20 at 170lbs as a vegetarian eating the same beans and rice dish every day...but I had body dysmorhia and gained it all back eating cheese products! All the way up to 247 pounds!

By age 29 I was no longer vegetarian and lost 30 pounds following the low carb paleo diet.

I have since had a baby, gained it all back and am currently breastfeeding but likely weaning in a few months. My blood sugar was in poor shape while pregnant. I am now willing to give vegan another try...even though the word carb has been ingrained in my brain as BAD!

Hey Mercy96!

So glad you'll be joining us for the next round. Thanks for so many details of your history too - you actually have a lot of know-how upon which to build and have a great energy.

Now down 50 lbs, I too struggled with my weight for years and was a fat vegetarian on and off for many of them. Eating PCRM style - whole plant foods - is what made the difference. You're in the right place!

Here as part of the Kickstart Team to assist with your success!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 4:21 PM

...tried on pants at the store...so sick of my weightCrying or Very sad

veggie burrito for lunch btw

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 372 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org