21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Eggplant
Created on: 05/28/13 02:33 PM Views: 1792 Replies: 8
Eggplant
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Anyone have a good recipe or two using eggplant for someone who doesn't like eggplant? Our family is getting to like it but a friend isn't liking it and would love to find a way to prepare it that she can eat (her husband like eggplant).

--DebR

RE: Eggplant
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Ratatouille. There are 2 wonderful versions of this in the Health Promoting Cookbook by Alan Goldhamer. I got this cookbook through the PCRM store.

Jennifer

Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM

ooh yeah, I've got a really nice rat-patootie Wink recipe already - thanks. Don't know how well that'll go over but it's worth a try.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM

eggplant is the one vegetable that my husband will not touch with a ten foot fork. not even the little Japanese eggplants. too bad for him, more for me Smile

Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Have you seen the recipe that makes bacon out of it? It is on my shopping list to try this. One recipe is for a dehydrator, let me know if you want that one, I don't have one so I will be trying this one:

http://www.theppk.com/2011/10/eggplant-bacon/

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Try this recipe for the non-eggplant eaters - it might work because there are so many other yummy flavors and textures and the eggplant just soaks those flavors right up
Oven-Baked Chickpea Ratatouille
Makes 4-5 servings
This dish is much like ratatouille in appearance, but using chickpeas and an original spice combination. The flavors are complex and the preparation minimal!
3 1/2 - 4 cups cooked chickpeas
1 1/4 cups red onion, finely chopped
3 - 4 medium-large cloves garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can (796-ml) diced tomatoes, low-sodium (see note)
1?2 cup red or orange bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or agave nectar
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1?2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon sea salt
1?8 teaspoon allspice
2 dried bay leaves
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 F (204 C). In a large, deep casserole dish, combine all ingredients except bay leaves. Stir through until well combined, then embed bay leaves in the mixture. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Stir through, cover, and bake for another 35-45 minutes, until onions are tender and translucent (stir through once more during baking). Remove bay leaves and serve over quinoa or brown rice.
Notes:
•   Use regular diced tomatoes, or Italian flavored or fire-roasted for a twist.
•   Try making burritos with leftovers. Spoon the mixture onto whole-grain tortillas, roll up and place in a baking dish, then bake until golden.
•   This makes a large batch, but portions can be refrigerated or frozen.
Per serving:
?   Calories: 283
?   Fat: 4.1 g
?   Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
?   Calories from Fat: 12.3 g
?   Cholesterol: 0 g
?   Protein: 14 g
?   Carbohydrates: 50.5 g
?   Sugar: 8.4 g
?   Fiber: 11.1 g
?   Sodium: 52 mg
?   Calcium: 146 mg
?   Iron: 6 mg
?   Vitamin C: 39.7 mg
?   Beta Carotene: 408 mcg
?   Vitamin E: 1.9 mg
Recipe from Vive le Vegan! by Dreena Burton of www.plantpoweredkitchen.com.
[edited: we diced up the eggplant into cubes and added that to this recipe to make it more of an actual ratatouille]

I've kinda heard about the 'bacon' thing but we don't own a dehydrator and I'm really not all that keen on 'faux' meats, even something good like this (rather than the ones that are mostly chemicals), because they never really measure up to the real thing and would only get me started thinking about that.

--DebR

Edited 05/30/13 8:25 AM
Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Bugsmom wrote:

Anyone have a good recipe or two using eggplant for someone who doesn't like eggplant? Our family is getting to like it but a friend isn't liking it and would love to find a way to prepare it that she can eat (her husband like eggplant).

--DebR

Hey DebR,

My fave way to prepare eggplant is to slice it in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices and grill it on a non-stick grill pan with a splash of Bragg's aminos - turn it to grill both sides, then cover it and turn the heat off and let it sit 10 minutes or so and it will finish cooking the slices to the core. This is great as sandwich fill or stacked on a pile of rice. Japanese eggplant is the best!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Thanks - the person I was looking for recipes for was eating sliced grilled eggplant and just didn't like it so I was looking for input on other uses that aren't so 'eggplant forward' Wink

--DebR

Posted Monday, June 3, 2013 at 4:05 AM

In summer I have eggplants growing in the garden and usually end up with too many so use them any way I can - cut up in vegetable casseroles, in stir fry's, baked.

I watched Jamie Oliver the chef on a TV show and he microwaved a whole eggplant for 7 minutes (other than washing nothing else needed - out the whole plant in as is). It basically cooked in its own steam. Then he cut it in half length wise - lightly fried it skin down in a pan so the kin got hardened and almost crunchy but not burned and served with some kind of great looking sautéed vegetable mix as a topping. Wish I could remember the topping but I was too busy remembering the microwave part. I am thinking of trying something with rice, veggies, herbs and spices to see what I can do.

If I ever find the actual Jamie Oliver recipe without having to buy his cookbooks I will come back and post.

By the way - my Mom tells me that eggplant was a breakfast food when she was small. My grandmother would fry bacon and then cook the eggplant by frying slices of it in the bacon fat. It soaked up the fat and bacon flavour and was apparently yummy. Obviously I refuse to try this and don't recommend anyone else does. No wonder that side of my family had/has heart problems and several have died from heart attacks in their 60's.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 173 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: JOJO1947

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org