21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Arthritis
Created on: 01/18/12 11:34 AM Views: 3862 Replies: 9
Arthritis
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I have few issues with changing my diet to all plant protien. We switched in November. I lost 10 pounds right away.My energy level is fantastic and I don't miss the foods I used to eat. My problem is, I have an issue with arthritis in my big toe joints. Last year I even needed to get a cotisone shot in one after it froze to the point I couldn't walk.I am very active, so this is not an option for me.I had read that the diet helps arthritis, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any input?

RE: Arthritis
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

linnie81 wrote:

I have few issues with changing my diet to all plant protien. We switched in November. I lost 10 pounds right away.My energy level is fantastic and I don't miss the foods I used to eat. My problem is, I have an issue with arthritis in my big toe joints. Last year I even needed to get a cotisone shot in one after it froze to the point I couldn't walk.I am very active, so this is not an option for me.I had read that the diet helps arthritis, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any input?

I suppose my first question is are you sure it's arthritis and not something else (like gout)? Is it rheumatoid or osteo arthritis? Osteo will just keep deteriorating, more or less quickly (hubby's got osteo arthritis/necrotizing in his left hip - ugly). Rheumatoid is more likely to respond to plant based eating because often eating in this manner will reduce the inflammation. Was it any better before when you were eating animal protein? As with anything, plant based eating CAN help with inflammation BUT that's not 100% guarantee for every person.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I would recommend more time. I used to be nearly crippled by the pain of arthritis in my hips and was on some pretty heavy meds (early 20s then).

When I was vigilent about every little CRUMB of animal product, read every label, etc... and waited about 6 - 8 months, I finally started seeing results. But I can tell you this, one slip into animal protein, especially dairy, and I have to start over. Months of waiting. Now I am in my late 40s and I hardly ever even think of pain in my hip. I only notice pain in my limbs after I have been sitting in one position for a lengthy time, but all it takes is getting up, stretching and walking a bit and it shakes off.

Best wishes with this, I understand how much it can hurt.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Oceandog, what is it about dairy that causes inflammation?
I was trying this diet because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I wasn't seeing results. BUT I wasn't 100% vigilant either. And it's only been 2-3 weeks.

I know I feel better in general. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I wish I was one of those smart cookies that had this memorizied ~ but I don't. When I had serious trouble years ago, I did some reading, it made sense and I stopped!

That said, I peaked in "China Study" for a quick review. Pages 183 - 185 discuss how our immune system works, like soldiers that attack and contain any forein bodies. One page 186 it says:

"One of the foods that supply many of the foreign proteins that mimic our own body proteins is cow's milk. Most of the time, our immune system is quite smart. Just like an amry arranges for safeguards against friendly fire, the immune system has safeguards to stop itself from attacking the body it's supposed to protect. Even though an invading antigen looks like one of the cells in our own body, the system can still disginuish our own cells from the invading antigen. .......The immune system uses a very delicate process to decide which proteins should be attacked and which should be left alone. The way this process, which is incredibly complex, breaks down with autoimmune disease is not yet understood. We just know that the immune system loses its ability to differentiate between the body's cells and the invading antigen, and instead of using the body's cells for "traning", it destroys them along with the invaders."

This is only one thing milk protein can do for our body (and it isn't doing a body good!). In this same, book T. Colin Campbell gives examples of turning cancerous tumors on and off by the addition or subtraction of milk protein. Scary stuff!

The bottom line for me, is my body and without milk products (not evey a teeny tiny little crumb) I feel great. If something sneaks in, it is felt and it takes a while for it to get better.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I love the China Study!

I know there are a lot of articles about dairy at drmcdougall.com. They are based on many studies that he cites at the end of the article. Also at this website, check out the star mcdougallers - go through the list of them for a mention of arthritis.

Dr Barnard also mentions arthritis in his book about pain (I can't think of the exact title now, but you can search it). My library has both of these books, plus several others by Barnard (all very good).

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM

The China Study, Dr. McD, and Dr. Barnard are my go to books as well! I used to have the one from Dr. B about pain, but I loaned it out and it didn't find its way home! Sad

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I think that understanding the type of arthritis that you have is essential for pain management. I have been vegan since 2007. I also have arthritis in both of my thumb joints - a very common type of arthritis due to the normal aging process as well as some overuse. The cartilage in my thumbs is gone and that is what creates the pain. My diet cannot change the damage that has already been done. The pain comes as goes dependent upon how I am using my hands during the day. When I have been carrying groceries or chopping up veggies for the day -- I certainly know it. On the other hand if I have a lighter day, I also know it and don't suffer as much. My doctor says the only permanent solution for pain management is complete reconstructive hand surgery but that isn't an option for me right now, so I too have the cortisone shots. My plant based diet does not seem to change the pain one way or another because it is bone against bone that creates the pain.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I think that understanding the type of arthritis that you have is essential for pain management. I have been vegan since 2007. I also have arthritis in both of my thumb joints - a very common type of arthritis due to the normal aging process as well as some overuse. The cartilage in my thumbs is gone and that is what creates the pain. My diet cannot change the damage that has already been done. The pain comes as goes dependent upon how I am using my hands during the day. When I have been carrying groceries or chopping up veggies for the day -- I certainly know it. On the other hand if I have a lighter day, I also know it and don't suffer as much. My doctor says the only permanent solution for pain management is complete reconstructive hand surgery but that isn't an option for me right now, so I too have the cortisone shots. My plant based diet does not seem to change the pain one way or another because it is bone against bone that creates the pain.

Posted Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I thought I would do a repost after another year has gone by. I did have to go back and have two more cortisone shots in the last year. The big toe joint on my right foot is so painful I can hardly walk on it.Doctor says it's arthritis. I'm 59. I have been doing Internet searches and oxalates seem to make arthritis worse. Problem is that almost all vegan foods cause them to form.I also researched gout, but the doctor never mentioned that.Any suggestions?

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 169 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: attackofthe1337

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org