21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] Welcome!
Created on: 12/29/12 09:12 AM Views: 18412 Replies: 89
RE: Welcome!
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM

What a coincidence. My name is Susan, and I'm FROM Alabama! Welcome.

If you can avoid cheese for 21 days, with our help, you will probably see and feel some amazing results. You're in the right place!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM

How about that? Nice to meet you, Susan!

Problem posting!
Posted Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hello
For the last 24 hrs it's been impossible to post / open a new topic Sad
Please advise, an error message comes up again & again, it comes up when you reply too BUT it does post whereas new topics are not posting. It's rather frustrating, especially as this is only day three...
Thanks
Carli

Posted Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Thanks for this notification! We seem to be having difficulties posting new topics on this listserv. I'm working with our tech team to resolve the issue. In the meantime, feel free to post issues under old threads until we figure out the problem.

Sorry! And thanks for being here!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

] Very Happy FEELING GREAT!!! I USED TO WAKE UP WITH KNEE PAIN AND BACK PAIN BECAUSE I HAD FALLEN AT WORK 10FT. At the time I would run 6 miles a day but the diet that I had wasn't as great as this one. I have to say that diet is number 1 and exercise can comes later if you are just changing your diet to vegan. After my fall I put on weight because it was hard to exercise with bad knees. Since the change to veggies, fruit and whole grains I walk like I never had a pain in my life. I wake up and I feel 25 years younger. I am 57, but I have so much energy and I feel like I can even see better. This is a great way to eat I did it when I was in my 20's but it was because I hated meat and I liked my fruit and veggies, everyone used to tell me if I didn't eat meat I would die, but it was quite the opposite! I always knew that I felt my best when I just ate the spinach, broccoli, tomatoes and fruit growing in the orchards. It was when I got married in my very late 20's I was pushed to meat because my husband wanted mashed potatoes and roast. Never did I just want to eat a bunch of meat lucky for me but I did love cheese and dairy that was the hardest to give up. Now after changing I could care less about cheese love beans,oatmeal, rice, veggies and fruit feel my optimum. Thank God there are Doctors out there that know what is best!! I knew when chewing meat my teeth were never made to do it, that is why I didn't care for it as a child, everyone must listen to their instinct

Posted Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

] Very Happy FEELING GREAT!!! I USED TO WAKE UP WITH KNEE PAIN AND BACK PAIN BECAUSE I HAD FALLEN AT WORK 10FT. At the time I would run 6 miles a day but the diet that I had wasn't as great as this one. I have to say that diet is number 1 and exercise can comes later if you are just changing your diet to vegan. After my fall I put on weight because it was hard to exercise with bad knees. Since the change to veggies, fruit and whole grains I walk like I never had a pain in my life. I wake up and I feel 25 years younger. I am 57, but I have so much energy and I feel like I can even see better. This is a great way to eat I did it when I was in my 20's but it was because I hated meat and I liked my fruit and veggies, everyone used to tell me if I didn't eat meat I would die, but it was quite the opposite! I always knew that I felt my best when I just ate the spinach, broccoli, tomatoes and fruit growing in the orchards. It was when I got married in my very late 20's I was pushed to meat because my husband wanted mashed potatoes and roast. Never did I just want to eat a bunch of meat lucky for me but I did love cheese and dairy that was the hardest to give up. Now after changing I could care less about cheese love beans,oatmeal, rice, veggies and fruit feel my optimum. Thank God there are Doctors out there that know what is best!! I knew when chewing meat my teeth were never made to do it, that is why I didn't care for it as a child, everyone must listen to their instinct

Edited 11/16/13 8:55 AM
Posted Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM

@jadcock: that's great - congrats! Smile

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

just want to say this community is wonderful! I'm so happy to find you all here. It is important to me, learning more about the transition to veganism and I can already feel a difference. Just a week into it and a few small changes, like getting in more fruits and vegetables that I wouldn't have had otherwise! Has really made a difference. Razz

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Happy to hear it!! Glad you are here!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

[b][i]
Hello all!!
I have been sort of following a vegan diet for about 8 months & have been vegetarian for about 8 years. As far as health goes I'm great!! However, I still need to lose about 40 lbs. I'm hoping the kickstart can help me Very Happy

Jeannie

Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Excited to start on 1/2/14! This will be my second time! My first was in 2010 and I ended up going 4 months, and should never have stopped. Am already a health nut and don't eat meat very often. Think I will be using a combination of principles of Joel Furman's Eat to Live lifestyle and Kimberly Snyder's Glowing Green Smoothie and detox solution. Also will be incorporating a food/photo journal to document and help encourage my progress. Very excited!!! :Surprised

Edited 12/19/13 11:07 PM
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Hello, All Very Happy

I've "taken a stab" at this 21-day Kickstart before and I have several of Dr. Barnard's books so I've been flirting with the information for a while now. This time is different tho, because now I have a variety of "illnesses"and I feel desperate enough to try it 100%.

I've been practicing with some of the recipes to get a feel for it before the 1st, and every one is a winner!

Now I have a list of things I'd like to see improve, and I feel up to the challenge and even hopeful about this 21-day jump in with both feet challenge!

I even asked my doctor if she would order some tests for before and after this Kickstart. I gave her a link to the website. I have no idea if she checked it out, but she did order it for me so I get my starting numbers tomorrow. I have been feeling really crappy lately so I'll also be really paying attention to how I feel - I'm just SO hopeful 21 days will be enough to see and feel noticeable changes.

Thanks for listening! LOL Looking forward to meeting others here and cheering you on!

~ Sapphire

Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Thanks for the Welcome. Been vegan for over 4 years. Dr. Neal Barnard has been a major influence for me since I started! Thought I would give this a try and pick up a few recipes. Looking forward to it.

John Smile

Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Thanks for the Welcome. Been vegan for over 4 years. Dr. Neal Barnard has been a major influence for me since I started! Thought I would give this a try and pick up a few recipes. Looking forward to it.

John Smile

Posted Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I can't seem to lose weight, even on this diet. The recipes are tasty and I like them, but I am not losing weight. I am obese, so it is not like I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I was a vegetarian for years and a vegan for a couple months because dairy gives me migraines, but I am completely frustrated because I can't lose weight, I started the kickstart - nothing. I have done the McDougall program - nothing. I am not cheating. Why am I not losing weight? Do I need to go to portion control? I don't like being hungry, but I will do it if I have to. What attracted me to this diet and to McDougall is that I didn't have to count calories and I could eat as much as I wanted of the right foods. But that doesn't seem right because my body just wont drop the weight. To my knowledge I have no problem with gluten. I should add just for full disclosure that I use no oil whatsoever, not even the spray kind for baking and I eliminate the tahini in the hummus and bean recipes.

Edited 04/06/14 2:42 PM
Posted Monday, April 7, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Susan Levin wrote:

Welcome everyone to the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart! This forum is a great place to post your questions, concerns, challenges, and successes! There are lots of us monitoring the posts and jumping in to help, including nutrition staff at PCRM, regular Kickstarters, and newcomers. We're all here for each other.

Cheers to a happy and healthful 2013!

Posted Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I just started the 21 Day Challenge, and a challenge it will be! DH and I are going away for the 4th of July and I'm sure it will be a carnivores delight! That will be my first obstacle. My second will be my love for cheese. A good cheesey pizza a downfall for me. I have been planning for this weekend but I would love some ideas! And DH will eat vegan sometimes, (especially if he does not know it) but he loves a good steak! Smile

I just started the 21 Day Challenge, and a challenge it will be! DH and I are going away for the 4th of July and I'm sure it will be a carnivores delight! That will be my first obstacle. My second will be my love for cheese. A good cheesey pizza a downfall for me. I have been planning for this weekend but I would love some ideas! And DH will eat vegan sometimes, (especially if he does not know it) but he loves a good steak! Smile

Posted Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

LadyBug wrote:

Try grilled Portobello mushrooms - remove stems, scrape out the 'gills' on the underside with a spoon, rinse, marinade (or not, your choice) and grill them up. We add grilled/sautéed onions and bell peppers and put them on a hearty whole grain bun with some good ketchup (we make our own so we don't have to read all the labels to avoid questionable ingredients) and yum... we had a few people at a picnic over Memorial Day eyeing our 'burgers'.

Grilled veggie skewers - baby bellas, bell pepper chunks, onions, grape tomatoes, summer squashes (zucchini, yellow squash) if they are seasonal where you are.

Another fun grilling item is to get some good whole grain flour tortillas (again, we make our own but there are some good ones on the market) and make grilled pizzas - try a "Mediterranean" one with red pepper hummus (the kickstart recipe is awesome and easy), grilled bell peppers and onions, sliced black olives. No cheese or sauce needed - the hummus warms and gets soft and not quite gooey but creamy-ish so it's kind close.

The key is to plan ahead and when possible bring your own something to eat. Give yourself a little leeway too - if you need food and your options are limited, do the best you can with what's available.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 312 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: anita

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org