21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Vegan Clothes?
Created on: 02/21/13 05:59 PM Views: 1387 Replies: 6
Vegan Clothes?
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I don't want to wear cosmetics or use cleaning products or personal care items for which some animal has had to suffer or die. Nor do I want to wear leather, suede, wool or silk. Does this mean the only option left open to me is cotton clothing? True, there are myriad synthetic fibers out there, but my concern there is how much pollution is caused in their manufacturing. How are others handling this?

Jennifer

RE: Vegan Clothes?
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Interesting question. It would be difficult, although probably not impossible, to wear only natural fibers such as cotton, jute, hemp, bamboo, and other plant-fiber products (they are certainly getting more popular).

You would be excluding textiles made with acrylic and polyester. That's not easy this day and age. And while finding shoes that are natural fabrics is also totally possible, it may not be ideal if living in colder or wetter climates. I'm not sure if rubber is totally natural anymore or not, but there are several companies now that make clothing from recycled rubber, which is kind of cool. I also recently saw cork belts for sale!

I'm quite sure it can be done!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I know they make vegan shoes, jackets and vests. I found them by searching online.

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I did not throw out already owned items, but I do not buy new items that have animal parts. I do wear cotton and hemp mostly. I do also have fleece items (it can be chilly here in the Northwest).

I buy nonleather shoes as well. Check with local, smaller shops for natural clothing and there really are a lot of places on line, but just a bit out of my budget. Good for you for deciding to make a difference and best wishes.

One more note, some people are okay with animal products IF they are bought from goodwill or such. That way they are not in line for direct manufacturing.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I sew a lot and happen to be a fiber fanaticWink One thing to remember is every single fabric, including the best organic natural fabric in the world has an environmental impact in it's creation and care. Even washing clothes has an impact.
What I try to do is research the manufacturer and make sure they reclaim and recycle the chemicals used to soften plant fibers in the manufacturing process. Many are able to reclaim almost all of it. Organic bamboo can be a nice choice, if from the right source, as it also uses little water and no chemicals in it's growth cycle and responsible processing after harvest.
Linen can also be a great choice. Sewing your own clothes ensures you are fully aware of what goes into them. You can make some great bags too.

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I forgot to mention that Tarte Cosmetics are my favorite:
"tartecosmetics.com/tarte-shop-vegan- ...for the vegan beauty we are proud to offer vegan makeup & cruelty free cosmetics certified by PETA."

Also, Costco carries a vegan shampoo and conditioner in their Kirkland line.

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

While I won't purchase clothing made with animal products, I do have a suede blazer my mother gave me a few years ago. I've worn it so little it's never needed to be dry cleaned and looks brand new. I've never liked clothing which requires dry cleaning. Although, not all clothing which says "dry clean only" on the care label really must be dry cleaned. Sometimes the manufacturer puts that on the label to protect themselves. Their thinking is we'll be more careful with clothing which requires dry cleaning. I'll check the fiber content label to make a decision as to how necessary dry cleaning is. I have several items in my wardrobe that say dry clean only that I've washed numerous times. I'm also an experienced seamstress.

Jennifer

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 276 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org