21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: experiment of one - the cheese thing
Created on: 08/05/12 03:11 PM Views: 2259 Replies: 6
experiment of one - the cheese thing
Posted Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM

There is nothing like experience to teach us.

After being mostly vegan (occasional slips) since my first kickstart in January 2010 for some reason I have mindlessly slipped back into eating cheese in the past 2-3 weeks. I've also started waking early in the mornings with a non-stop cough, copious thick mucus and sinus congestion. I have to get up as laying down makes it worse, so sleep is being interrupted. I feel terrible with a blocked nose, tiredness, cough and so forth. It has taken a few days of 'suffering'for me to suddenly click that its the cheese. Dah... I should have known.

The dramatic difference of eating something again after being off it and seeing what it does to my body is a major wake up call. No more cheese ever! It will be easy as its not just being vegan from an animal welfare position (although thats a great reason) but because I have truly seen the effects this food has on my body.

As one website (and there are many that discuss this link) on mucus and cheese states:

Mucus congests internal body organs. Mucus creates phlegm. The average American lives his or her life with a gallon of mucus clogging the kidney, spleen, pancreas, tracheal-bronchial tree, lungs, thymus, etc. Imagine not eating cheese or any other dairy product for just six days. An internal fog will lift from your body as the mucus leaves. Eat just one slice of pizza on day seven, and 12 to 15 hours later, the mucus will return.

http://www.drheise.com/powercheese.htm

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

RE: experiment of one - the cheese thing
Posted Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I can't get enough ice cream this summer. I now it's bad for me, but I just lose control. Thanks for posting about the clogging of dairy. That should settle my cravings. I'll picture all that mucous when I look at ice cream and pass it by. Oh yuck!

Posted Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM

VERY interesting, Kiwi. Thanks for sharing!!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

experiment of one - the cheese thing
Posted Monday, August 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

i wish it were that simple for me. I have eliminated dairy, but still have those same problems with allergies.
I had always wondered if it were dairy for me or if my symtoms would be shorter or less.. but no... ;-(

I have been eating a plant based diet since sept 2010. A couple of months ago i was at a party were all they ordered (spur of the moment) was cheese pizza. WELL... i used to love cheese... i thought.. "hey one piece. i will treat myself" i did eat that piece. BUT as i was chewing the cheese, i was thinking of the fat... i really did not enjoy it the way i thought i would.

the good news from that was i no longer thought i was missing out on cheese. by trying it, i found that it had lost it's appeal. now i no longer think of it as a treat. I think of eating a plate full of the variety of foods i combine and/or cook the treat.

Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Hi cch22,

I still have allergy problems when not eating cheese but it seemed to get dramatically worse when I did go back to eating it whcih is why i posted.

I am wondering if I am more sensitive to dairy as an adult as I had a definate dairy allergy as a child. Cows milk would activate or make my asthma worse to the point where my parents stopped giving me cows milk even though we lived on a dairy farm. Allergy tests as a child showed I was allergic to cows hair, horse hair, cats and various pollens. I had the tests repeated in 2007 as a adult with practically the same results - some food allergies, pollens, cats, dust mites etc.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM

All the talk about cheese and health are very valuable. The more reasons you can put in the 'why' column the better - it all helps keep you motivated.

Know what finally finished the dairy for me? A video of a dairy cow having its horns burned off. Yes, I'd seen images of the badly treated dairy animals before. This one just sunk the nail for me. To this day seeing milk or cheese brings up images of the suffering of that animal. For what? My chunk of cheese or scoop of ice cream?

I should probably find that clip and have it handy for those who ask.

Keep up the positive changes my friends! Even little steps count.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Marcia,
I have discovered some great vegan ice cream substitutes recently. I don't even miss ice cream with these in the freezer:
So Delicious (the coconut milk based brand) has a vanilla ice cream that I use in smoothies. It's wonderful and creamy for when sorbets just won't do the trick. Also, they have a mint chocolate chip flavor that my boyfriend (who is not vegan) loves.
Trader Joes has a few chocolate varieties of vegan ice cream that my friends rave about.
And I have recently discovered just how much I love sorbets with fresh berries. I had always been a fan of rich, creamy ice cream, so the thought of sorbets never excited me, but I tried one at a restaurnt (it was the only vegan dessert available) and it was to die for. Now I'm on a sorbet kick at home. They are perfect for the hot weather. I put fresh strawberries and blueberries on top.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 252 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Wild4Stars

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org