21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: improved thyroid function as a vegan?
Created on: 03/10/12 11:24 PM Views: 1599 Replies: 2
improved thyroid function as a vegan?
Posted Saturday, March 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I've been vegetarian for over 20 years, and this past july became vegan (at long last!). Oddly enough when I've gone in for my regular thyroid tests my doc is surprised by what appears to be my "metabolism improving". I had hyperthyroidism (graves disease) 25 yrs ago, drank radioactive iodine (ugh!), and hv been on synthroid ever since, at a rather high doseage. Has anyone ever heard of thyroid function IMPROVING 25 yrs later? (And yes, I eat soy. Plenty. Possibly even twice a day if I sat back and counted out portions). I'm stumped while doc keeps reducing my thyroid medicine.

RE: improved thyroid function as a vegan?
Posted Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I've not heard of it, but your story is sure to inspire others. It's always good when you can reduce meds and have improved health. Congratulations.

Vikki ~

RE: improved thyroid function as a vegan?
Posted Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Very interesting! This is all I could find about hyperthyroidism and diet:

The links between nutrition and hyperthyroidism are limited. The relevant issues are as follows:

Celiac disease: Individuals with celiac disease have an increased risk of hyperthyroidism. Some evidence indicates that hyperthyroidism can be improved by following a gluten–free diet.

Iodine ingestion: People diagnosed with hyperthyroidism should attempt a trial period of avoiding foods that contain high concentrations of iodine, including iodized salt, sea salt, seafood, dairy products, eggs, and foods that contain iodides, iodate, algin, alginates, carrageen, agar, and red dye number 3.

If you had any kind of gluten intolerance or Celiac, perhaps you are now incidentally eating less gluten and more grain variation? Or maybe you are eating less iodine without the eggs and dairy?

I really believe the benefits of eating a healthful vegan diet go far beyond what research knows as of yet. Thanks for sharing!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 291 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: tphonhna

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org