21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Low blood sugar
Created on: 01/21/12 12:17 PM Views: 2231 Replies: 6
Low blood sugar
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM

For the past several months, my husband and I have been cutting back on meat/dairy/eggs and adding more vegan meals. All my life I've had problems with low blood sugar. In the past, I've managed it by eating 6-8 tiny meals per day, balancing the carbs/proteins so my blood sugar stays stable. When I cut meat completely out of my diet, I have problems maintaining that balance. Any suggestions?

RE: Low blood sugar
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Try adding B complex-B12 in particular is provided by meat and be sure to eat lots of protein loaded quinoa and chick peas, etc.

Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

If you take any medications that could be causing low blood sugar, you might want to check in with your physician on dosage.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Me too! Have been trying to go 100% vegan for many years and all the carbs tire me out and make me sleepy. I have yet to experience all this energy we're supposed to feel. I'm not taking any meds so they can't be the culprit. My dad had the same blood sugar issues. Wish someone could help so we can continue eating this way!

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I'm not taking any medications. Protein seems to be the only thing that helps stabilize it. I'll have to look into the B-12.

Posted Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM

gutsygourmet wrote:

I'm not taking any medications. Protein seems to be the only thing that helps stabilize it. I'll have to look into the B-12.

If weight loss is not a major goal, try adding small amounts of nut butters to apple slices (for example) for your snacks (make sure the only ingredient in the nut butter is nuts - no added fats or oils needed). Also, cooked chickpeas with a wee dusting of salt make a peanut-like snack that is low fat but high in protein. Toss cold cooked beans into a small tossed salad for a snack. Try hummus (chickpeas) on whole grain crackers - hummus is chickpeas, chickpeas are beans, beans contain fiber and protein. Quinoa is also a nice protein that goes well in a salad.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Is your low blood sugar medically diagnosed and measure, or are you just going by feeling? I thought I had low blood sugar for a while, and it turned out to be low blood pressure.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 323 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org