21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Grams of protein
Created on: 01/03/13 11:56 AM Views: 709 Replies: 5
Grams of protein
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Hello,
It seems that there are widely varying professional opinions with regard to how many grams of protein we should consume daily. What is the perspective of the experts associated with PCRM?

Thank you,
Jennifer

RE: Grams of protein
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Hi Jennifer! Great question. Protein needs are based on weight, with slight increases recommended for those who engage in intense, regular exercise.

The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for both men and women is 0.80 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Or more simply, 0.36 g x pounds. So someone who weighs 150 pounds needs 54 grams of protein per day. This number is on the high end for needs, of course, because our government sets our RDAs to cover "nearly all (97 to 98 percent) healthy individuals in a particular life stage and gender group."

The truth is, the average American consumes almost twice that amount. Therefore, to consume more because you are an athlete is probably already happening!

Check out this factsheet for more detail:

http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/faq_protein.pdf

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

jenniforious wrote:

Hello,
It seems that there are widely varying professional opinions with regard to how many grams of protein we should consume daily. What is the perspective of the experts associated with PCRM?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Jennifer,

Not long ago when questioned by a relative about 'getting enough protein', I quickly calculated the protein content I was getting in a day of simple vegan fare and it was more than adequate. I put together an article about it which you might find interesting as an example based on real food:

Where do you get your protein? The plant-based diet answer

I love the handout that Susan provided. What a great resource!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Thank you for the excellent resources!
Jennifer

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Thanks to you both! Those replies make it easier to explain to others that they need not be concerned. Lani, that was a great article you put together! Doing the math out that way really helped me visualize it.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

MiniVegan wrote:

Thanks to you both! Those replies make it easier to explain to others that they need not be concerned. Lani, that was a great article you put together! Doing the math out that way really helped me visualize it.

Hi Amanda! Happy to help!

Cheerily,
Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 669 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: ShanaB, Susan Levin, theodore

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org