21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: ???
Created on: 01/03/13 12:42 PM Views: 817 Replies: 4
???
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

We, My husband and I are repeat experimenters to the kickstart program, I have primarily eaten peso-vegetarian (not given up the fish yet) for almost a year now. My health has never been better, I have for the first time in my adult life not needed an iron supplement and been able to donate blood...which has been a life long goal that because of my low iron I had never been able to do. My husband is pre-diabetic... he struggles with this diet, he mentally feels he needs more and will revert to the meat at any available opportunity. I need recipes to make with lentils or beans or soy that will give him the texture, chewy, flavorful experience of meat or meat loaf .... any contributions will be helpful!

RE: ???
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM

mushrooms! Add chopped mushrooms to chili (with lots of beans as well - we sometimes do 'black and white chili' with both black beans and white beans, plus corn, other veggies maybe, tomato, chopped mushrooms (also white), onion, bell peppers, and spices). Make sure, too, that he's not limiting to one serving of the entrees - he needs to eat enough to feel satisfied. Add mushrooms to wraps (hummus, bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, etc). Portabellas can be grilled and served like a burger patty (marinate them first for an even more 'meaty' experience). But, you don't have to go expensive - plain old white button shrooms work nicely in stir fry, chili, soup. We also make a hash with chopped root veggies, onions, beans(whichever ones we've got already cooked in the fridge), shrooms if we have some. Cut the veggies into cubes about 1/4" or so. Saute in a bit of veggie stock - start with the stock and the onions. Add the hardest veggies (like carrot) first, then add the next hardest and so on, every couple minutes testing and adding. We usually have potato, sweet potato, turnip, parsnip, carrot, onion in the hash. Beans get added last just to warm through (since they're already cooked - don't want them getting mushy). We've also added hard squashes like acorn or butternut - they also go in near the end (but before the beans) because they can cook fast and mush if added too soon. Add shrooms and/or cooked beans to pasta sauce.

--DebR

Edited 01/03/13 1:36 PM
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I've been loving "The 30-Minute Vegan" cookbook by Mark Reinfeld & Jennifer Murray. So many recipes we tried at first lacked enough flavor to keep us away from meat or cheese. But Mark's recipes are flavorful and filling. Favorites include "Put the Tex in your Mex Chili" and "Mexican Tortilla Soup."

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

lindaglcpa wrote:

I've been loving "The 30-Minute Vegan" cookbook by Mark Reinfeld & Jennifer Murray. So many recipes we tried at first lacked enough flavor to keep us away from meat or cheese. But Mark's recipes are flavorful and filling. Favorites include "Put the Tex in your Mex Chili" and "Mexican Tortilla Soup."

Learn your spices - the favorites, the disliked, and the okay stuff. We've learned to open a jar and sniff it to see if it fits with what we're making (seriously!) Cumin is a go-to just about every day. Chipotle chili powder is another one we use often (a bit smoky and mild, ancho is for hot and spicy). Garam masala is a nice bit of a different flavor combination. Garlic and onion always, plus oregano, basil, thyme (individually and together). We have a nice mild curry we like, some like it hotter. Consider what you might have thought 'weird' combinations like cinnamon just a pinch in with the spinach when you're wilting it in the skillet. We love that we can buy spices in the bulk aisle so we can just get a teaspoon or whatever to try a new spice or buy a lot if we use a lot.
--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Is it that he is craving dishes that are like meat? Or that he isn't getting full enough so just goes for the meat because he's not satisfied?

Check out this cookbook too: Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Quentin Bacon (the personal chef for Ellen and Portia Degeneres. The recipes are necessarily low-fat but it might be a good starting point. You could always adjust a few ingredients too to cut down on the fat content.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 223 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: yoganut

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org