21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: CHEESE HELP!
Created on: 01/21/12 01:27 PM Views: 2653 Replies: 9
CHEESE HELP!
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

So, I've cheated --just a little w/ the cheese! Somebody please help me!
I think Soy cheese is gross--is there another alternative?

Do the spreads really help with the salty yummy craving?

Thanks for your help.

RE: CHEESE HELP!
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

well..... first .. try what i do and think of cheese as 100% fat.. full of cow's milk, antibotics and garbage..

when that doesn't help.. set on a misson to find a good vegan mac & cheese recipe. my favorite has nutrional yeast and mustard in it. You might have to play with them a little till you get it the way YOU like it.

when you really want something close.. to dip the plain chips into.. or better yet over a burrito.. try nacho mamas vegan queso... so good. http://fatgoblin.com/

i asked my health food store to stock it. they did.. and now they have a hard time keeping it on the shelf. i always have a jar... i use it most for burritos.

as far as pizza.. i have given up on cheese.. i now make a whole wheat crust.. spread over non-fat refried beans & veggies.. fold it over like a stromboli.. and dip it in a good quality pasta sauce. (no high fructose corn syrup & easy to understand ingredients) usually a maranaria sauce.

Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

-

Wash your back

Edited 01/21/12 4:33 PM
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Wash your back

Edited 04/06/12 11:50 AM
Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Honestly, I think the best way to get a realistic vegan alternative to cheese would be to take a slice of tofu and fart on it a couple of hundred times.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

theodore wrote:

Honestly, I think the best way to get a realistic vegan alternative to cheese would be to take a slice of tofu and fart on it a couple of hundred times.

If that doesn't bring closure to this thread, I'm not sure what will. Laughing

Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

You need to find an alternative treat!

I got very crabby my first weekend because my husband and I usually have cheese and crackers while working on dinner.

Now for a treat I have hummus or all vegetable brown rice sushi with pickled ginger and wasabi.

I'm also going to try this "fake" cheese sauce recipe, minus the pretend butter (too fatty) and with less oil : http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/08/fake-out-mac-n-cheese.html

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I spread on tortilla with tofu mixed with lot of garlic powder or garlic salt. It's tasteful!

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I was meaning to contribute to this question yesterday, but didn't get time. I hope this helps. I can relate.

I was a vegetarian for decades prior to my first Kickstart in April. I was one of those who put cheese on everything. I loved it, and I mean real cheese, blue or 10 year old cheddar, the stinkier the better. I loved it!

I joined the kickstart for a project I was involved in, and never looked back. I was online for two weeks prior, freaking out, thinking things like HELP, or WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITHOUT CHEESE!

I tried every pretend cheese product I could find, and hated it all. I tried the soy yogurt and tofu cream cheese too. Hated it too. Then I remembered all the talk about the taste buds changing, and decided to just jump in. Just a few months later, I do not even think about cheese, I am serious! Here is how I would do it now.

1. Don't even try any fake dairy product until your taste buds have really changed. It only takes a week or two. Get it out of your life totally for that amount of time. Cheese is very very strong. You don't even notice until you are away from it for a while. I had an accidental tasting of a few crumbs of blue cheese a few months after. Someone had put it on a salad, remembered, and tried to take it all off... they got most of it. It was really horrible. I know you can't believe it until you experience it, but it was really horrible.

2. After a while goes by, try the Daiya brand shredded vegan cheeses. They have three flavours. They are actually delicious, although I find them too rich at this point. I think you might like them. Cheddar is great in a burrito.

3. Try to find alternatives for what you actually like about cheese. For me it was sauces. I like what I can do with nutritional yeast to get that flavour now. I also find that blended soft tofu or soaked and blended raw cashews are very interesting. It was the "creamy" sauces I didn't want to give up, but found that cream was not necessarily a part of "creamy".

4. Look for recipes to replace your favourite dairy/egg meals. There are a few versions of scrambled tofu out there... try it with these two changes:
- use the veggies and the spices you would normally use with your own scrambled eggs.
- freeze the tofu first, then squeeze out excess water before crumbling. This gives the tofu texture and capacity to absorb flavour from your veggies.

Also, try grinding a cup or so of whatever nut you like best (my favorite is cashews) together with an equal amount of nutritional yeast and a bit of salt. This makes a very good "parmesan" cheese substitute. It stores in the fridge well, and also carries well in a small container... even an old pill bottle, for that trip to a restaurant where you know you are going to be limited to pasta primavera.

Won't worry. I was a cheese head and I did it so I can tell you that it is possible.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Cheese - those that know me from previous kickstarts know cheese is also my personal cross to bear. So I completely understand where you are coming from,.

I did the thinking of cheese as a lump of fat etc as suggested by others. It helped a little but not that much. I believe I am addicted to cheese and I just had to get it out of the house and go cold turkey. Like a recovering alcoholic who says they are one drink away from relapsing, I feel I am one meal away from relapsing with cheese. And I am not making light of this - it really is an issue. So I make sure I dont eat any cheese at all. After a year of vegan eating I still want cheese every now and again.

I found one vegan cheese that I like and use on top of pizza for an occasional treat (occasional because high in salt and somewhat expensive in this part of the world). It is Cheesley made by Redwood Foods. They have other flavours but the Mozzarella style is the only one I like. While great in recipes and melts well, it will never taste like 'real' dairy cheese if you are eating it alone (like a piece of cheese on a cheese board). I dont know if it is available in your area but it might be worth checking out.

Good luck.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 170 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org