21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Can I continue?
Created on: 01/03/13 01:37 PM Views: 1608 Replies: 8
Can I continue?
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I just found out I'm pregnant! Can I stay on the plan? I started early so am on day 5 and really enjoying the meals. I would really like to stick with it if I can, I think it's a great plan and I can really benefit from it. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

RE: Can I continue?
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Of course - with twice the motivation! It's always a good idea to eat the healthiest possible diet, and that's really all that this plan is.

Congratulations!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Great! Thanks for the fast reply!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

you'll probably need to tweak a little here and there - never know which foods will feel good and which will make your nose curl when you're pregnant. Definitely need a B12 supplement (if you're not already taking one). Other than that, as long as you make sure to get a good variety of foods and enough calories, should be okay. I think there are a couple of books related to pregnancy and vegan eating - check under the Resources tab.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Keep going! There are books out there that talk about eating plant-based for kids. I wish I could remember the titles... maybe someone else here knows.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM

There's a great book out now called Vegan Pregnancy, written by Reed Mangels, PhD, RD. I highly recommend it!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Dr. McDougall talks about a plant-based diet while pregnant here..
The McDougall Diet for Pregnancy

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies and encouragement. I will have to try and find some books on vegan diet and pregnancy. I need to get some vitamins any way so I will add B12 to the list. This is our 3rd and I have never been able to handle meat well anyway in the 1st trimester so this is actually perfect for me. So far I have stuck too it and don't see stoping any time soon.

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I follow "The Happy Go Lucky Vegan" on Facebook -- she is also pregnant and posts recipes, pregnancy issues, etc. She also has a blog about the pregnancy, raising a healthy baby, etc., that you might find interesting. Good luck!

Edited 01/04/13 2:44 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 53 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org