21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Recipes for pick Mom
Created on: 01/03/13 03:08 PM Views: 868 Replies: 2
Recipes for picky Mom
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

And I Mean she is picky. She turns down my rice, chickpeas, beans, and all my veggies. She literally spit out my chickpeas when she tried it. She eats pizza and ice cream every night for dinner. Is there any recipes that she will like. So I can cook for her too?

Edited 01/03/13 3:09 PM
RE: Recipes for picky Mom
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

neodragonrider wrote:

And I Mean she is picky. She turns down my rice, chickpeas, beans, and all my veggies. She literally spit out my chickpeas when she tried it. She eats pizza and ice cream every night for dinner. Is there any recipes that she will like. So I can cook for her too?

How about pizza? Blend some veggies (like carrots or a little canned pumpkin - not the pie filling, the actual solid pack pumpkin) into the sauce - orange veggies blend well into red sauce Wink, add toppings like mushrooms, red bell peppers, etc. Look for a vegan faux cheese to use (I think Daiya makes a decent vegan mozz sub that melts).
Look for things she likes that are already at least vegetarian and go from there. Chickpeas are a bit of an acquired taste and texture - I know the first few times I tried them, they smelled "weird" to me (kinda of like used gym shoes). Now I eat them cold with a sprinkle of salt in place of peanuts.
Think about mix'n'match type meals - cook a decent pasta (there are some white whole wheat pastas that look like 'regular' but have more fiber and such) - key is to not overcook ANY pasta, especially whole grain and alternative type (rice, quinoa, spelt). Then make a nice Italian sauce with tomato, herbs, etc. If she must have meat balls, cook a few for her and serve them on the side (like in some fancy Italian restaurants where the meatballs are a menu item on their own). Cook some mixed veggies as well. Then you can have a nice pasta primavera, lovely colors and textures, and she can have her 'standard' pasta with meatballs. Little to no extra cooking time involved.
Try text-mex (if she'll eat that) - burritos, tacos, etc are often just beans and rice with salsa/picante wrapped in a tortilla (corn or wheat depending). A hearty mild chili (unless she likes spicy) can be made without meat and no one the wiser (we have friends who are omnivores who request our veg chili!)
Start there, start small, start where she is. If she feels forced or pressured she'll resist. Just keep making colorful, interesting, wonderful smelling food. Either she will or she won't but you have no say in it.
--DebR

RE: Recipes for pick Mom
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 6:44 AM

My 4 yr old resisted a lot of the new foods when I started cooking vegan 1 yr ago. It took a while for her to get used to the new diet. Dr Fuhrman recommends making the switch all at once but when I tried that she lost weight and looked gaunt, and even after a month was not eating well. So, I took a different approach.
I started to serve new foods alongside her old favourites and did not push her to try them. She got to listen to DH praising (or not) new recipes and watch me (and sometimes DH) eating the new foods. When the pressure was off I found out she tried the foods better. Sometimes if I would serve her something new, like chickpeas or lettuce, while I was cooking dinner, she was hungry enough to eat them and didn't feel like I was taking away her old comfort foods.
I substituted ingredients I saw she liked into old recipes and slowly built up a (mental) list of new things she would eat. Now 1 year later I can cook a healthy meal for her that I know she will eat, but it won't be the same food the adults eat. For example, we will have bean and tomato chili, I will save out some plain beans for her and serve with raw cherry tomatoes. Both my kids love grains and prefer beans plain rather than in a sauce. DD likes tofu but DS prefers veggie burgers. DS is less picky because he's not a toddler yet but he will usually only eat veg if it' s hidden in a tomato sauce. It's hard to cook a meal that appeals to everyone so I make sure there are always leftovers, cook for different family members on different nights, and offer basics like whole grain bread, raw fruit and veg, peanut butter etc when someone really doesn't like the meal. I don't think it's any different in a family of 4 that eats a "normal" diet--for example, my Dh will not eat frozen pizza and DS will not eat french fries. I think the main thing is to build up your cooking repertoire till you have foods that she will eat, and give her some freedom in choosing side dishes or old favourites once in a while.
I did stop buying cows milk somewhere along the way because I saw that Dd would never drink the plant milk otherwise. That was a big one for me though because she will ask for cows milk at every meal and snack time. After learning how that increased her risk for cancer in future I needed to limit that. She gets 1 glass now at kindie and at home it's only soy or rice milk.
Our family is not 100% vegan (DH does not eat vegan when he has a choice) so I can't expect the kids to eat vegan either. However since I do most of the cooking, I still have a lot of control over what is served and I make sure the vegetables and fruit come out before the chocolate or potato chips when the kids are really hungry.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 129 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: suhas

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org