21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: weighing up the 'milk' choices
Created on: 01/03/13 04:58 PM Views: 1332 Replies: 9
weighing up the 'milk' choices
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Hi. I live in Australia and we seem to have less choice in the plant milk options than in the US.
We have rice, oat, soy and almond.
There is only 1 reduced fat 'light' plant milk option. This is a highly processed non GMO but not organic soy milk. It has added calcium and B12. 80 calories per serving

Alternatively there are full calorie versions of all the other milks and many are sweetened. Some are more processed than others and some are organic. The lowest calorie organic option is Australia's Own Almond milk at 90 calories per serving. However this is sweetened with Agave syrup which i know is healthy enough but i find tastes too sweet! There is also no added calcium or B12.

Alternatively there is a minimally processed Oat milk that tastes great. But it is 152 calories per serving. It has added calcium. No B12.

I have a weekly B12 supplement so that is not really a factor for my decision. However i did think i should have the added calcium. I know i can get calcium from greens but i'm don't think this time of year (summer) when they are out of season i can't get enough high quality greens to meet my calcium needs. I live in a very small remote town with only one supermarket and everything is quite old and droopy by the time it gets here. And right now there isn't much available except summer fruits and vegetables like tomatoes and eggplants. I have a garden but since it is out of season i can't grow greens until winter. I live in extreme desert heat.

So i just wanted to see what would be more important. To have less processed, organic or lower calories and the issue of calcium. And being that i want to lose weight (although i am only a bit overweight, i'm not about to have heart attack any day).

Oh and i do make my own sunflower and almond milks on occasion. However i find they don't do well in hot drinks and because they don't have calcium i was worried. So that is why i was looking for a store bought milk to have in addition to homemade.

Thanks.

Edited 01/03/13 5:46 PM
RE: weighing up the 'milk' choices
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

It really is a personal choice. Neither option is "wrong." I would probably opt for the more natural version, and if I were having trouble with weight, I'd scale back or switch to the lower-fat version.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Thankyou Susan.

I think i'll just stick to the lowest calorie option, the soy milk then. And perhaps once i'm at my ideal weight i can think about switching to the higher calorie natural oat milk for the long term.

Cheers

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

dirtbooksun wrote:

Thankyou Susan.

I think i'll just stick to the lowest calorie option, the soy milk then. And perhaps once i'm at my ideal weight i can think about switching to the higher calorie natural oat milk for the long term.

Cheers

Hey dirtbooksun,

Another consideration is that actually the milks are liquid calories which don't contribute a heck of a lot to satiety. I think of these milks as mostly a condiment, maybe a splash on oatmeal.

Just a thought!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 8:46 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Hey dirtbooksun,

Another consideration is that actually the milks are liquid calories which don't contribute a heck of a lot to satiety. I think of these milks as mostly a condiment, maybe a splash on oatmeal.

Just a thought!

Lani

We don't use plant milk for drinking much either. I use about 1/2 cup (or a little less) on cereal each morning (most mornings) and we'll use it in cooking or baking as needed (but a lot of recipes do fine with just water). We'll also use it for occasional treats like smoothies, homemade hot cocoa or vegan chocolate pudding (yum!) It's really interesting that we used to go through a couple gallons of milk (usually 1% fat and then add chocolate milk mix) for the 3 of us in about a week to 10 days. When we switched to plant milk, we pretty much dropped it as a 'beverage'. Now, it's more of an 'ingredient' than anything. Generally, we get unsweetened plain almond milk, but for a treat we'll get vanilla sweet or coconut-almond sweetened varieties (makes great smoothies!)

--DebR

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM

You can get unsweetened almond milk for around 30-40 calories per cup. We don't drink it as a beverage but I like to use it for oatmeal and cereal. I make a batch the night before by mixing two cups oatmeal, two cups of almond milk, cinnamon, bananas and blueberries. My toddler loves it and its a quick breakfast for my husband before heading to work. It lasts for 2 days in the fridge. We are just switching to a plant based lifestyle as well and we cut oil out of our diets, are limiting our intake of things like nuts and avocados but for the moment I'm not ready to go as far as having oatmeal with water. The almond milk gives the oats a creamy texture without having to cook them. Also, we cut out all vitamins except B12 so I rely on a few things to provide extra calcium and/or vitamin D for my toddler. We don't get much sunshine where we live. I see the extra 20 calories I'll consume negligible.

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Saldly i can't at my supermarket.i live in a very small remote town with litte choice. All the almond milk options have triple the calories as that.more than the low fat soy options.
I realised i dont actually use all that much. Mostly in tea. Sometimes a bit in baking or on cerial. So i guess im worrying unnecesarily. Doesnt help either that the store keeps changing what they have so i get used to something and next thing they never stock it again Sad
I scored some organic soy milk in a throwout table today. only 30cents a carton! I have stocked up so i guess that is what ill be using for some time.

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

That makes it tough when you don't have access to everything you need. I think for your purposes you would be using it in moderation so it should be fine. If you find your weight loss is slowing down you could always re-evaluate.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM

One of the best things I did was to buy a seed/nut/bean milk maker. They are inexpensive and I can make almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, barley milk, mung bean milk....well you get the picture.

I can get organic soy beans online in bulk. I've learned to make tofu. I've dehydrated the okara and put it in a coffee grinder and made protien powder. For me, this one thing has made being vegan easier.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I've made homemade milk in a regular blender with a homemade nut milk bag made of a couple pieces of gauze fabric sewn together for years.

But i do like a commercial milk product in addition as it seems to curdle less in hot drinks and it has the added calcium my homemade milk does not. Also it takes less planning for the soaking stage. I don't always know ahead of time when i will need milk.

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I'm pretty much set with my decision now - especially as i have a huge supply of milk now in my pantry due to what i got on sale. It ticks all the boxes too, low calorie, organic, fortified and minimally processed.

In fact i think i'll be going back to the grocery story to see if i can pick up some more while they are there because the reason i think they were on sale is they aren't going to sell that one any more.

Cheers!

Edited 01/06/13 9:46 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 285 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org