21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: October Unprocessed
Created on: 09/26/12 10:14 AM Views: 2355 Replies: 12
October Unprocessed
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM

http://www.eatingrules.com/october-unprocessed-2012/

Has anyone else heard of this? I ran across it in a newspaper article (of all places!) It's not vegan or even vegetarian (though it seems to skew that way anyhow). It's a 4 week challenge (or 1 day, or 2 weeks, your choice of course) to not eat 'processed' foods. The definition of 'processed' used is "anything that you couldn't make in your own kitchen if you had the time and skill" (though if you want to use a tighter or looser definition, you're free to). So, a jar of all natural pasta sauce (tomatoes, herbs, salt, maybe a little sugar) is not 'processed' but one that contains preservatives and HFCS is 'processed'. Oatmeal is not 'processed' unless it's instant (that's usually got other stuff added to it) - you could make rolled oats yourself if you had the equipment to do so. For that matter, the site has a rough outline of instructions on how to make wheat (or similar grain) flake cereal (steam or pressure cook the wheatberries until soft, roll them flat with a rolling pin or heavy bottle, lay flat on a baking sheet and bake until toasted crispy).

I signed up for it (one email per day, maybe less depending on the volume of stuff involved). It's already very similar to how we eat anyhow, after several kickstarts, but it looks like there might be some interesting info, recipes, etc. included. You don't have to sign up for anything to browse around the blog, if you just want to take a look.

--DebR

RE: October Unprocessed
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

this looks like fun. I signed up for it.

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Sounds interesting. Although it seems based on the flawed view that any (palatable) unprocessed food is good for you, when I think that's only really true for plant-based foods. Animal products seem to cause problems even in their unprocessed forms.

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

MidasSkyze wrote:

Sounds interesting. Although it seems based on the flawed view that any (palatable) unprocessed food is good for you, when I think that's only really true for plant-based foods. Animal products seem to cause problems even in their unprocessed forms.

Definitely, but unprocessed is better than processed - it's a step, and a big one at that for some people. Even some vegans rely on heavily processed faux meats and cheeses.
--DebR

Posted Sunday, September 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I just joined as well. It looks interesting. I will see how the month goes. Only four weeks and ok if I only eat at home. Eating out will be a major unprocessed/processed challenge.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Monday, October 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM

kiwi wrote:

I just joined as well. It looks interesting. I will see how the month goes. Only four weeks and ok if I only eat at home. Eating out will be a major unprocessed/processed challenge.

Yeah, eating eat might be difficult depending on where you go. Some places might be closer to things you could make at home from scratch than others. For example, an Italian restaurant where they make the pasta and the sauce from scratch would be possible.

--DebR

Posted Monday, October 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Its made me look at how much processed food I am still eating based on their definition of making it myself if the time, ingredients and equipment and not using an ingredient I would never buy and add (preservatives, food colorings etc). Its not all bad as I usually cook my main meals but its snack items things like crackers and bakery items like breads and wraps, also a few toppings/sauces etc. i will really have to rethink what I take to work for lunch.

Even if I dont do the whole month its another healthy food tune up that is somewhat complimentary to the kickstart. I can ignore the parts on the site about animal products as Im not tempted by that at all.

Posted Monday, October 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Exactly, kiwi, that's what we're doing - it's a tune up to see where we're eating maybe not the best choices of things. Some things are conscious 'exemptions' because the cost of making it from scratch is more than buying it, even though the purchased variety doesn't pass the "kitchen test". For example, the last time I comparison checked making almond milk vs. buying it, buying it won hands down based on the quantity of almonds we'd need to get the same amount of almond milk we use each week. But, we're looking into a yogurt maker so we can make almond milk yogurt (I don't do soy and didn't like coconut but I'd really like to have that texture again - yogurt is a handy snack and a good sour cream sub for many uses).
--DebR

Posted Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

You can't cheat on this if you have diabetes for real.......... I went off the wagon and my hba1c went promply back up to where it had been before I started Dr Barnards program!!! Shocked This as per my personal physician's advice " do atkins" So now in a huge struggle to get back to where I wanna be and I stress the "I" not my personal doc's position on the thing......... I don't eat anything if it has a face!

Posted Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

You can't cheat on this if you have diabetes for real.......... I went off the wagon and my hba1c went promptly back up to where it had been before I started Dr Barnards program!!! Shocked This as per my personal physician's advice " do atkins" So now in a huge struggle to get back to where I wanna be and I stress the "I" not my personal doc's position on the thing......... I don't eat anything if it has a face!

Posted Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Hi Kristine,

The good news is that you have found something that works for you (Dr Barnard's program). Sometimes we need to prove to ourselves that a change in eating has really made a difference and there is nothing like going off the program to see what happens when eating the 'old' way and seeing our health problems come back.

Good luck with your doctor. I am sorry he/she thinks the Adkins diet is the way to go but there are a lot of doctors who know very little about nutrition. I dont think it is taught in medical schools. Maybe you will be able to teach your doctor something when they see how much better you are doing.

Posted Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Thanks!(for the support!) Speaking of "october unprocessed" there is a kindle book on amazon dot com you can download to your own kindle called "Unprocessed" by Chef AJ and Glen Merzer. Her story is amazing and heart rending all at the same time. Her recipes are delicious and help alot! I love her pumpkin smoothie recipe!!!

Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Just a thought, if a food's been selectively bred over generations to be bigger / juicier / sweeter / starchier, would that be classed as a form of processing ? Like a fuji apple for instance.

And what about advertising ? Is that a form of processing ? I never eat anything that's been crystallised or advertised.

Wash your back

Edited 10/15/12 2:41 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 226 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org