21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Mammogram scare
Created on: 10/29/13 12:22 PM Views: 596 Replies: 2
Mammogram scare
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's still October, which means it is still officially Breast Cancer Awareness month - perfect timing for this article. You can never get too much reinforcement about the power of dietary choice to help prevent disease.

Has this ever happened to you? This is what happened to me.

The mammogram results alert letter arrived in my mail late on a Friday afternoon. I tore into the envelope, looking for the usual 'normal' results report to which I had become accustomed. Instead, I found a formally worded letter with references to "problems" with my recent mammogram image - and an urging to contact the imaging facility right away.

I sprinted to the phone, only to be greeted by a recording that stated "Our offices are closed for the day. We will reopen Monday at...." So much for bedside manner. There was nothing to do but deal with the brain-swirl this quick turn of events left in its wake. Until "Monday at...."

I called the imaging center first thing Monday. After several holds and transfers, I was told that the 'problem' with my mammogram image was...

I tell the rest of the tale here:
http://www.lanimuelrath.com/?p=20191

And it's just the prelude to an enlightening article written by Dustin Rudolph, PharmD., with some startling facts about breast cancer diagnosis, treatment, and fund-raising campaigns. Also linked are pertinent works by Dr. McDougall, PCRM, Breast Cancer Action Site, and more.

Click here to read the entire article:
http://www.lanimuelrath.com/?p=20191

And if something like this HAS happened to you, I'd be interested to hear about it.

To your healthy success,
Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

RE: Mammogram scare
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I did have a mammogram scare, but after a biopsy it wasn't cancerous. Twentynine years ago (a month before I gave birth to my daughter) my mother had a mastectomy on her left breast. Now, on Oct. 31 she's having a mastectomy on the other side. Her mother died from breast cancer which had spread to her blood and bones. My grandmother had found the lump herself doing a self-exam at home. She told her doctor but he said that because she was 72 not to worry about it, so he did nothing. By the time she got a doctor to listen to her the cancer had spread. The doctor at the time gave her 6 months to live. She died at 82, which is young in my family.

Jen

RE: Mammogram scare
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM

dodink58 wrote:

I did have a mammogram scare, but after a biopsy it wasn't cancerous. Twentynine years ago (a month before I gave birth to my daughter) my mother had a mastectomy on her left breast. Now, on Oct. 31 she's having a mastectomy on the other side. Her mother died from breast cancer which had spread to her blood and bones. My grandmother had found the lump herself doing a self-exam at home. She told her doctor but he said that because she was 72 not to worry about it, so he did nothing. By the time she got a doctor to listen to her the cancer had spread. The doctor at the time gave her 6 months to live. She died at 82, which is young in my family.

Jen

Jen,

I'm so sorry for your loss and for your mother's current challenge. That's tough. You mean the doc didn't have your grandmother biopsy the lump to see? 72 is still so young to me now!

Thanks for sharing your story,

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 451 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org