21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Making a dessert healthy?
Created on: 01/22/12 10:19 AM Views: 1725 Replies: 7
Making a dessert healthy?
Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I am going nuts for a bready fruit dessert like a Danish. I buy sour cherries and am looking for a healthy war to make something Danish or pie-esq (no top) witout all the fat and sugar. I googles for recipies, but the only whole grain recipe I found had two sticks of earth balance butter. I tried a raw crisp with date, walnuts and olive oil, but it wasn't good. Oats have potential, but I like them crispy, not soggy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Erin

Vegetarian since I was 14, The bane of previous attemps at becoming vegan: Cheese.

RE: Making a dessert healthy?
Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM

phillo dough is vegan... can you do something with it?

so is bisquick....

Edited 01/22/12 10:36 AM
Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM

At the NutritionMD site, the site where a lot of recipes for the Kickstart come from, they have a recipe for a fat-free pie crust that uses Grape Nuts and apple juice. They also have some other pie recipes. You might look there.

Also, have you ever been to Fat Free Vegan Kitchen (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/)? She has all kinds of awesome recipes. Everything I've ever made from there has been awesome.

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Chef AJ's book Unprocessed is full of wonderful plant-based recipes including a whole chapter called Decadent Desserts. It includes recipes for Basic Healthy Pie Crust, Cherried Treasures, Cherry Cobbler, and even Mint Chocolate Mousse Torte. There is another chapter with recipes for 14 types of truffles.

Edited 01/22/12 6:09 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Google a recipe for Vegan apples in Phyllo dough. My husband loves this instead of apple pie.Just apples,raisins, spices and a little agave. By the way, I only use half sheets as it usually rips and not so much dough. Also chop the apples or they will rip theu the dough.And spray the glass pan with non stick spray.

Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM

One more thing-I have a husband with a real sweet tooth. There are so many recipes. Most of the chocolate ones fall short, but Google Blueberry Breakfast cake or Biscotti. I find if I put Vegan in front of what ever I search, I always find a good recipe.But still watch the fat grams!

Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM

a chocolate one that does not fall short is... and i top it with chocolate frosting too!! wow.

Vegan Low-Fat Chocolate Applesauce Cake
2 cups Flour
1 cup Organic Sugar
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
3 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Dark Special Cocoa
2 cups Applesauce
1 tsp Vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 8x11 cake pan. Note: Because this cake is a bit heavy, layered cake pans are not recommended. (I usually put it in 2 9"rounds)

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Add applesauce and mix well until batter is smooth.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, until done. You can always tell that a cake is finished baking by sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, then your cakes is done baking.
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/applesaucecake.htm

**side note** i cook in a food grade silacone (HIC brand) so i don't have to grease & flour pans.. I also use HIC brand muffin trays.. again.. no greasing them and nothing sticks.

Edited 01/24/12 11:29 AM
Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I'll try that one! Sounds great.Thank you! I have made the wacky cake from the 21 kickstart book and black bean brownies.Both weren't right.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 290 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org