21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Hi Everyone
Created on: 01/04/13 01:29 PM Views: 920 Replies: 5
Hi Everyone
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

As a former 12-stepper, this is forum for me! I did the kick-start a couple of years ago, and did fine, but didn't lose much weight, so I joined OA, but it was a rigid version, where I was supposed to follow an eating plan exactly. This was ok for a while, but I am stubborn and contrary when it comes to rules, so I dropped out and the weight I had lost came back.
Over the holidays I have been feeling worse and worse, sluggish and lackluster with all the dairy and concentrated foods I have been eating. I am very happy to report that I feel SOOO MUCH better this week after just 4 days (and actually felt better after just two days) of no dairy and very low fat, and totally satisfied. The danger comes in a month or two, when I forget how bad I was feeling and what a difference it makes!
I'm glad I found you all, because it often seems to me (in my dreary isolationist head) that every other vegan just decides what they will or won't eat and has no trouble carrying that out, and are not driven by demon self-destructive habits and coping with emotions in inappropriate ways. Right now that doesn't matter because I am on the high of feeling good, but I know from past experience that it won't last and I'll need something to keep me going...

So thanks for being here, I hope I stick around and you do too!
(and for my exercise, I garden, and try to go for a stroll every evening after dinner - you are all far more ambitious than I have any inclination to be!)

RE: Hi Everyone
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

A little mental mnemoic from one of the chapters of the Veganomicon (not all low fat recipes but some great jumping off points and information) is a bean, a green, and a grain. If I can get that on my plate most of the time, I'm good to go. It's when I get too much grain, little green, or lots of beans and no grain, that I get off track. Those are the basics - then add in other veggies, fruits, spices, etc.

We've also found it helpful to continue the idea of menu planning for a week to two weeks. It isn't set in stone (not a 'rule') but it provides information for grocery shopping (so we don't run out of one thing and have other things going bad), helps us add variety into the mix (if we see that our menu for this week is identical to last week, we try to change at least one meal up a little), and we don't get to 5 pm going "what do we have for dinner?" - we already know and can prep ahead if needed (remembering to soak beans for instance). If we forget something (didn't realize we had no beans ready until 4:30), we swap days and have something else tonight (lentils are a quick cooking protein option if we're low on beans). It's getting to dinnertime and not having a plan that we end up getting off track.

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Thanks Deb,
I think one of the reasons I didn't drop much weight the first time around was a little too much beans and (especially) grains and not enough greens. Now I am doing at least twice as much fresh produce as concentrated foods, and I think that is making a big difference!

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Yeah, we find ourselves falling back on things like pasta, pizza, rice, and even quinoa and going short on the leafy stuff. Even if we've got carrots, celery, tomato, and other veggies involved, somehow the leafy greens are key to the whole thing. An easy go-to meal is to cook some chickpeas (we usually do extras when we make hummus and save them for later). Then, in a big saucepan, sweat some garlic and onion in a little veggie stock or water (to keep it from sticking). Add quinoa and just quickly stir it around to give it a little toasting and let it mingle with the flavors. Add the liquid (water/stock) to cook the quinoa. Cook as appropriate. While that's cooking, clean and shred up a little a leafy green (kale, chard, spinach, etc). When the quinoa is done, throw the chickpeas and green into the pot along with a little soy sauce or other flavorful 'sauce'. Pop the lid back on and let the greens wilt and the chickpeas heat up. Serve.

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Embarassed

Edited 01/04/13 3:15 PM
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Welcome! I too am a recovering food addict and I do go to OA meetings from time to time when my schedule permits (my group didn't give us a strict meal plan, we came up with our own that fit our needs). You are not alone, being a vegan is hard when food is your drug of choice and there are so many temptations out there. Knowing that there is a group of people out there, connected via this community, who are doing the same thing you are is very helpful! So is the excitement of all the recipes and menus available to you here and on other websites. Plus, if eating the right foods, there is not measuring or calorie counting - the focus is on the quality of your meals, not the quantity of the portions.
Keep in touch here!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 201 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org