21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: health probs
Created on: 01/22/12 02:28 PM Views: 657 Replies: 1
health probs
Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I have quite a few, When I eat vegan I get (pardon the graphic) severe diarrhea and have to take lomotil. Any suggestions? Have to limit carbs due to diabetes and salt due to hbp. Magnesium deficient at moment. Meat of any kind makes joints hurt as I have arthritis. Getting old is not for sissies. I have been veg/vegan on and off for years but am having obstacles at the moment and there are no vegan friendly dieticians where I live. They just hand out prepackages diets. If Paul McCartney can tell the Dalai Llama that his dr is wrong about eating meat for health, surely someone can guide me a little from here.

Janeoverton

Edited 01/22/12 2:29 PM
RE: health probs
Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

A plant-based diet does speed up foods' duration in your gut, which is good for preventing certain diseases. Some people are actually surprised that stools are not supposed to be hard! But food "dropping" can be dangerous. Meaning, it can be so fast that some nutrients do not get absorbed (including the water), and that's not good.

I can't be sure your situation is this bad, or if it's just unpleasant. Either way, there are certain foods you can eat to help slow digestion:

When experiencing problems with diarrhea, it can be very helpful to emphasize rice and well–cooked green, yellow, and orange vegetables. More processed grains like white flour crackers/toast can also do the trick. Parents may also be familiar with the BRAT diet for diarrhea = bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 265 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org