21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Recipe for lunch on January 2nd?
Created on: 01/04/13 02:08 PM Views: 857 Replies: 7
Recipe for lunch on January 2nd?
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I jumped on board on Jan 2nd and found the lunch recipe for that day, but couldn't print it out. So I wrote out the grocery list but didn't put in the amounts. By now that recipe has gone back into the ether. It contains couscous, red cabbage, carrots, red pepper, parsley, green onions, golden raisins, olive oil and rice vinegar. I hope someone has that recipe and if so please reply with the amounts on this forum. Thanks. Jeanie

RE: Recipe for lunch on January 2nd?
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I have found this recipe makes ALOT. You might consider cutting it in 1/2.

Couscous Confetti Salad
1 1/2 cups dry whole-wheat couscous
2 cups boiling water

3 - 4 green onions, finely chopped, including tops
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 carrot, grated
1 - 2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup golden raisins or chopped dried apricots

1 juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
In a large bowl, combine couscous and boiling water.
Stir to mix, then cover and let stand until all the water has been absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Add green onions, bell pepper, carrot, cabbage, parsley, and raisins or apricots.

In a small bowl mix lemon juice, vinegar, oil, curry powder, and salt. Add to salad and toss to mix. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Per 1-cup serving
Calories: 194 Fat: 2.1 g Saturated Fat: 0.3 g Calories from Fat: 9.8%
Cholesterol: 0 mg Protein: 5.2 g Carbohydrates: 40.2 g Sugar: 10 g
Fiber: 4.2 g Sodium: 283 mg Calcium: 33 mg Iron: 1.1 mg
Vitamin C: 40.9 mg Beta Carotene: 1157 mcg Vitamin E: 0.7 mg
Source: Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes by Patricia Bertron, R.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Is this the recipe you are looking for?

http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=189

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Yes both recipes above are correct and thank you. I also didn't put curry or lemon on my grocery list. I made it just from the grocery list and it was delicious. Highly recommend. Am liking this website!

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Yes both recipes above are correct and thank you. I also didn't put curry or lemon on my grocery list. I made it just from the grocery list and it was delicious. Highly recommend. Am liking this website!

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM

To Susan Levin, yes this is the correct recipe. So yummy. But because I had lemons and curry at home, I left that out, because I was only using what I had on my grocery list. How do I find by date or recipe title archived recipes?
To cch22: Yes and thank you for the recipe. This is a lot of food and really good to eat, so I don't mind I have more for the week.

To Susan Levin, yes this is the correct recipe. So yummy. But because I had lemons and curry at home, I left that out, because I was only using what I had on my grocery list. How do I find by date or recipe title archived recipes?
To cch22: Yes and thank you for the recipe. This is a lot of food and really good to eat, so I don't mind I have more for the week.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 159 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org