21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: need some inspiration / fell off plan today =(
Created on: 01/05/13 09:38 AM Views: 2814 Replies: 17
need some inspiration / fell off plan today =(
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Hi guys,

I don't know if it's because I'm not getting enough of some nutrient, but today I caved.admit it that I had dairy and this is always the biggest challenge for me. Not so much cheeses, but always the milk, the sweet things like ice cream, etc (ahhh!)

But I am finding fruits really help my sweet tooth and I haven't wanted any chocolate so far =) it's great.

But ah, to beat this dairy monster inside of me is so hard =(
I can't seem to stop after justa little bit. A scoop of ice cream, some sweet cream here and there, it's not enough for me. I think I must abstain from these things entirely.

I guess I just want to re-focus, and keep at this - any advice or reasons to keep going Vegan, the benefits and advantages...that would be great xoxo

RE: need some inspiration / fell off plan today =(
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

There are products where I am not good at controlling myself, so the first rule is to never let it in my house. Beyond that, I find that there are smoothies that can help with ice cream cravings. Using bananas, flavored extracts, cocoa powder, ice, and vanilla/chocolate plant-milk can make a great ice cream-like treat.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Sometimes I want ice cream also and if I'm going to give in, I buy SO ice cream products or tofutti. I buy the mini ice cream bars, so there's a beginning and end to the ice cream. That way I don't over-scoop! A lot of us go off the diet occasionally,but just get back on. Usually if I go off, I find out the food doesn't taste as good as what it used to and I no longer want it. Good luck!

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My sister is a ice cream fan as well. I put a link for this somewhere but I think it is worth looking into:

www.yonanas.com

I have seen people rave about it and seems to help them. I use my vitamix to do frozen goodies, but this look easy, easy to clean and certainally a lot more economical than a vitamix!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Ice cream was my biggest downfall too so yes, definietly not in the house. The other tips are very helpful too and I'll add on frozen bananas. Peel a banana(s), cut it (them) into chunks, and place pieces on a baking sheet in the freezer. I haven't timed this but I take them off the pan and place in a freezer bag after 4-6 hours and then let them continue to freeze for a full 24 hours. The consistency of the frozen banana is just like ice cream plus its naturally sweet. Try it! Oh, and don't give up Smile

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I agree that "ice-cream" made from frozen bananas is the way to go to curve ice-cream cravings. I've used both the yonana and the blender and for me, the blender worked best...the end product had a more creamy consistency. I have a vitamix, but I think any good blender would work. Buy slightly over-ripe bananas, cut them up into pieces and freeze. To make ice-cream, place the equivalent of 2 bananas in the blender with about 1/3 cup of milk (soy, almond, whatever) and a splash of vanilla or vanilla bean and blend on high for about a minute. You can add strawberries, cocoa, walnuts or whatever you want for different flavors.

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

not sure if this will help, but the first time I tried kickstart, I lost 17 pounds, which inspired me to continue eating vegan throughout the year.
And don't be so hard on yourself for not sticking to it, just try again tomorrow.
You will have cravings, but as your body adapts to really good food going in, the cravings will get less and easier to handle.
I used to literally get mouth watering when I passed a fast food place, now just looking at ads/commericals for those places turns my stomach.
Your body and mind will detox from the crap food, trust me.
When you get these cravings, drink a lot of water and wait 15 minutes, and try some breathing techniques.
Getting your mind off all food by doing something menial,reading, or playing a game usually helps too.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Whenever I think of eating dairy or meat I think about genetically engineered food and how large agricultural businesses use the same model as the tobacco industry. They make food addictive so more people will buy it to make profits. They don't have to give us nutrition.
They just have to make it taste good and like their little pets we eat what is giving to us. Usually that gives me the strength not to eat what is in my food bowl if it has any GMO foods. Most of our livestock is fed with GMO food.
Maybe I'm just a radical at heart. I worked on the labeling of GMO food in California this past election and I know now the government nor our food industry does not care about what we want at all. They care about making money and controlling our food supply. It's enough for me to vote with my fork.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I used to love ice cream, and ate it almost every day. What got me off of it was reading Christina Pirello's book, THis Crazy Vegan Life. Great book! It was reinforced by several books by Dr Barnard, starting with Food for Life (I think that is the title, at least it is close). There is also a lot of good no dairy info at http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_calcium.html. He also has a video called, "The Perils of Dairy." It is on youtube.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM

What helped us with the ice cream love was staying away from it for a time (a couple months) after the very first kickstart we did. Then, it was summer and we have a university with an ag department nearby that has their own dairy herd and ice cream bar (you can look out the windows and see the cows that contributed to your ice cream). So, we had some (and it was yummy). But, we spent the next 24 hours quite uncomfortable in the intestinal regions and realized that high fat dairy like that is just out completely now. So, when we REALLY want some for a treat, we'll buy the So Delicious Coconut milk ice cream - chocolate is awesome. But, that basically gives the three of us one serving each (since it's just about a pint container) for significant $$. We like knowing we have an option - it's easier to avoid ice cream when we know we have an option than if it was totally banned, odd as that may seem.

We also have a yummy vegan pudding recipe (plant milk and corn starch, plus raw cocoa powder and a bit of sweetener (maple syrup or raw sugar) to cut the bitterness of the cocoa) - cool, creamy, tasty...and relatively inexpensive and simple relative to having to go out and spend money on the So Delicious (we generally have all the ingredients to make pudding at will).

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM

thank you all for not 'hating' me, andit's only January 8th...so I still have so much of this month left, well -instead of the full 3 weeks I only have two weeks...but maybe this is better than nothing at all!

Another option is, should I just wait until the next kick-start, as i learnt that there will be a new one every month? ( how exciting and wonderful by the way )

I'm still having a hard time not beeating myself up. I am staying away from ice cream these days. the dairy milk and lattes , cream/etc is hard. I think it's hard for me too since I'm not surrounded by other people who understand veganism or can be supportive...or provide that inspiration.

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Hey lovekittens,
Sounds like these food issues are really beating you up. I can feel you pain and wanna give ya a big hug.

Everyone has their own relationship with food. It's emotional and intellectual at the same time. It's biodiverse and very individual. I made the mistake of comparing myself with others that seemed more successful, never giving their struggles merit. Mine were always more important and that's true with you too. Your struggles are more important than anyone elses.

If you want to change do it intellectually; educate yourself. There are some very good movies out there. Vegucated, Hungry for Change, Forks over Knives are just a few. There are lectures on Youtube you can watch, Robin O'Bryan, Jeffrey Smith. Once you start searching and learning, over time, you change and it becomes easier to make wiser choices. You know like Oprah says, "once you know better you do better".

We all struggle with emotional issues with food. Sometimes it's the only thing that works. I want to be comforted with food and I am. It's just vegan, and it's the choice I make for myself. I love soy ice cream and mashed potato and peas. And it gives me comfort that I can eat as much as I want and still stay on my diet!

I encourage you and genuinely want to know what I can do to help you? I'm certainly not going to hate you for struggling. We all struggle. So what you wanted and ate ice cream. Tomorrow is another day. Eating should be fun!

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Lovekittens,

Don't beat yourself up. My advice would be not to wait until the next Kickstart starts. Get back on track right away. Don't think of it as all or nothing in terms of healthy eating. Instead of starting a downward spiral (as I had done in the past) get back on track with the next meal. You'll feel better and will be enforcing your healthy habits.

Deborah

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You guys are the best =) Thank you for such positive sentiments and yes - I'm going to keep it up for whats left. Feel bad that 8 days of the new month andnew year are gone. but Day 9 is here, that's one more day to try and try anew!!

I love what someof you have said about eating being 'fun.' Sure, the emphasis must be on the healthy things, but nothing wrong in occasional vegan treats, like the chocolates as I asked about earlier.

I had not realized this, because so few people seem to order it, but most coffee shops will seem happy to make coffees and teas with soya milk. this is great =) I will try it this week and see how my body adjusts to it.

I think the main thing is, not beating myself up and being more positive about how far I have come. For example, I used to love cakes and 'had' to have my chocolate, but its been a week and i've been cake, egg and chocolate free. that's been tough i admit it...but i'm making it slowly!

Thanks again you guys are awesome.

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM

When we first started, we looked for fun things to try out - not a commitment to any one thing but "hey this looks interesting, what is it, what do we do with it, let's look up recipes!" We found celeriac/celery root (son used to call it 'alien stomach' because it's so weird looking), rainbow chard, watercress, assorted kales, quinoa, and lots of other stuff. We also started taking a harder look at the ingredients we would accept and which we wouldn't. We treated it more like an adventure, the way one might look at eating in a foreign country, rather than as a burden that we "should" do.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Hey lovekittens. Glad to see you still in the game - I am SO proud of you for not throwing in the towel. Each moment of each day is an opportunity to walk one path or another - and just because we take a detour doesn't mean we can't roadmap our way forward!

Here, and cheers,

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Hey lovekittens. Glad to see you still in the game - I am SO proud of you for not throwing in the towel. Each moment of each day is an opportunity to walk one path or another - and just because we take a detour doesn't mean we can't roadmap our way forward!

Here, and cheers,

Lani

I love you Lani...you're always so positive and a great inspiration.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Aw Jodie - you made my day! Smile

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 154 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org