21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Omega 3 Supplement
Created on: 01/23/12 01:11 PM Views: 724 Replies: 1
Omega 3 Supplement
Posted Monday, January 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I know that most of the info I have read from Dr. Barnard, Dr. Essylstyn, Dr. Campbell, etc, that none of them specifically recommend an omega-3 supplement.

Recently I watched a TED Talks presented by Dr. Ornish, one of the first individuals to demonstrate that heart disease could actually be reversed. His nutrition plan is plant based and is obviously well-backed (I do critique his inclusion of skim milk though). He is in favor of taking 3 grams of an omega 3 supplement per day. How does everyone feel about this?

RE: Omega 3 Supplement
Posted Monday, January 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Omega-3s are powerful anti-inflammatories, so they are definitely beneficial for heart health and health in general. However, we encourage folks to focus on the ratio of omega-3s to 6s. The American diet is typically high in fats, most of which are 6s. To recommend more 3s would be ignoring the first problem (too much fat). So a diet that encourages low fat gets those 6s downs, and a diet that encourages whole plant-foods gets the 3s up. By following the Kickstart plan, you are more than likely in a terrific ratio range. We do have a factsheet on this as well, but happy to answer any other questions:

http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/pv_essential_fatty_acids.pdf

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 556 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: sweetpea45

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org