21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Anyone having issues with cramping?
Created on: 01/05/13 01:30 PM Views: 2185 Replies: 11
Anyone having issues with cramping?
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Every part of my body has gotten cramps in them. Mainly my hands and legs. What should I do? I've been drinking more water but nothing works.

RE: Anyone having issues with cramping?
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I guess I'm the only one

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Have you tried eating some foods that are good sources of electrolytes? Examples include bananas, potatoes, leafy greens. There are even some drink products that have electrolytes in them that may help as well.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Did the cramps start since you started the Kick Start or did you have them before?

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

kandoo wrote:

Did the cramps start since you started the Kick Start or did you have them before?

I've had them before but not lately and this bad. I've been eating bannanas

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I was having horrible leg cramps (calves and hamstrings) in the summer when I was running and I did three things and they went away. I don't know which of the three things (or combination) stopped the cramping.

1. As Susan said modify diet. I especially increased foods with high magnesium such as spinach, lima beans, etc....

2. Decreased the intensity of the exercise or receptive motion of the cramping muscle. I cut way back on running and rebuilt up slowly. This was August in Texas so I had to really hydrate a lot also.

3. I discontinued taking a prescription drug. DO NOT do this one without the approval of your doctor. He said the cramping was not a side effect but they went away the week he took me off the prescription drug.

Edited 01/05/13 8:57 PM
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

PennyCallahan54 wrote:

kandoo wrote:

I've had them before but not lately and this bad. I've been eating bannanas

Thanks I'll try that.

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Dontx wrote:

I was having horrible leg cramps (calves and hamstrings) in the summer when I was running and I did three things and they went away. I don't know which of the three things (or combination) stopped the cramping.

1. As Susan said modify diet. I especially increased foods with high magnesium such as spinach, lima beans, etc....

2. Decreased the intensity of the exercise or receptive motion of the cramping muscle. I cut way back on running and rebuilt up slowly. This was August in Texas so I had to really hydrate a lot also.

3. I discontinued taking a prescription drug. DO NOT do this one without the approval of your doctor. He said the cramping was not a side effect but they went away the week he took me off the prescription drug.

Thanks I'll give it a try

Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I have extremely bad muscle cramps at night (not related to activity, nor to being on Kickstart; they started years ago) and my doctor recommended drinking 1 liter of coconut water a day.

Edited 01/18/13 1:55 PM
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM

slt wrote:

I have extremely bad muscle cramps at night (not related to activity, nor to being on Kickstart; they started years ago) and my doctor recommended drinking 1 liter of coconut water a day.

I notice you said "have" did the coconut water, which is a source of potassium and sodium (electrolytes), not work for you? Did he do a blood test which showed a potassium deficiency? How many mg of potassium are in a liter of coconut water?

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Hi,

Durin my first week on the plan I also had cramps in my legs - so painful. My husband told me to drink more water; I was already drinking loads but I did increase it and they have now, thankfully, gone. Are you feeling any better?

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Dontx wrote:

slt wrote:

I notice you said "have" did the coconut water, which is a source of potassium and sodium (electrolytes), not work for you? Did he do a blood test which showed a potassium deficiency? How many mg of potassium are in a liter of coconut water?

I still have them if I don't drink enough coconut water and sometimes even if I do (though not as often or as severe). When I convince myself it's not working and stop drinking it, I soon realize that it was helping all along. I did not have a blood test for potassium deficiency that I recall. Vita Coco coconut water has 470 mg potassium per serving and they call it 4 servings per liter.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 79 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org