21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Find it Hard to eat 6-8 grains
Created on: 01/05/13 02:20 PM Views: 843 Replies: 2
Find it Hard to eat 6-8 grains
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Must I eat all 6-8 servings of grains every day?

RE: Find it Hard to eat 6-8 grains
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Nope! Eat until you are satisfied from any of these groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes. Variety is good!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Find it Hard to eat 6-8 grains
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Susan Levin wrote:

Nope! Eat until you are satisfied from any of these groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes. Variety is good!

But do make sure it's a variety of groups, in addition to variety within groups. Get some of each but how much is up to what feels good to you. For example, if I start going heavier on grains and lighter on veggies (green leafies in particular) I tend to get heavier. We generally aim for dinner to be a bean, a green, and a grain - such as chickpeas, spinach, and quinoa in a casserole (one pot dinner since we pre-cook the beans: veggie stock to sweat some onion and garlic in a large saucepan with a lid, toss in the quinoa to toast a little and mix with the aromatics, add stock to cook the quinoa. once it's done, add the chickpeas and spinach and cover until the spinach is a little wilted and the chickpeas are warmed through). That makes a good dinner and also leftovers for next day lunch. Oatmeal for breakfast, leftover b-g-g for lunch, new b-g-g meal for dinner and that's 3-6 servings of grain just like that (depending on how much I eat of each thing). Add in a snack (hummus and multi grain/whole grain crackers for example) and there's another. Whole grains definitely help to make you feel full, which is good. A little goes a long way.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 330 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org