21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: American Restaurants
Created on: 01/05/13 02:21 PM Views: 1477 Replies: 7
American Restaurants
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Is there a list of Vegan foods for American restaurants?

RE: American Restaurants
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM

try happy cow. net

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Do you mean vegan American restaurants? Or vegan foods served in American restaurants? With the former, I would do a simple google search for your area. That is where I found a place called "Native Foods" in southern California that is entirely vegan. As far as vegan foods served in restaurants, I look up a restaurant's menu online and/or call them and ask on the phone.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Where do you live? Maybe someone on this forum lives in the same city as you do and can direct you in the right direction. Happy Cow may be helpful, too. I live an hour from Austin, Tx and today ate at a vegan restaurant called Counter Culture. It was my first time there and I was pleasantly surprised. Some of their foods are are E2 friendly (no added fat).

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Happy cow. Net is a website where you can search for vegan vegetarian and veg friendly restaurants and health food stores. It works for anywhere in the world and they have phone apps as well.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

and it's possible to put together vegan meals at most restaurants if you're willing to ask questions and go 'outside the menu'. Low fat is actually trickier in some places than vegan. I love that TGIFriday's has added a "salad bar and sides" menu option - I can order a couple side dishes (like steamed broccoli and baked sweet potato) alongside the all-you-care-to-eat salad bar and be set (and they have oil and vinegar cruets with the dressings so I can just add a sprinkle of vinegar and skip the higher fat dressings). They also have a veggie patty but I haven't checked to see if it's vegan or if it uses egg white as a binder (some veggie patties do). Ditto for the Red Robin chain - they have a veggie patty that can be subbed into any of their 'burger' options - actually, if I remember correctly they have both a black bean vegan patty option and a MorningStar Farms veggie patty option. Both chains are pretty widespread in the US.

In other places, I've looked to see if they serve things like fajitas on their menu - some places already have a veggie option, in other cases, I'll order the fajitas but ask for no meat or dairy, just extra peppers, onions, beans, rice (whatever else they serve with it), and guacamole (a little extra fat there but I like a little creamy with my tex-mex). One time, I was in a restaurant that didn't serve "fajitas" but they did have sandwich wraps and grilled/sauted bell peppers, onions and mushrooms as a side dish that they served with steaks. I asked for the side dish and a tortilla and a side salad (lettuce, tomato, etc) and built myself a nice burrito.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

One thing to watch out for is steamed veggies. Amazingly even the steamed broccoli can be messed up. I have questioned Luby's and Panda Express and they said they use butter water to cook all vegetables. Panda Express did steam me fat free veggies but it was during one of their non busy times.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Dontx wrote:

One thing to watch out for is steamed veggies. Amazingly even the steamed broccoli can be messed up. I have questioned Luby's and Panda Express and they said they use butter water to cook all vegetables. Panda Express did steam me fat free veggies but it was during one of their non busy times.

Yup. Gotta learn to ask questions - which we're trained out of as kids oftentimes. "Just eat what's put on the table in front of you" Uh, nope.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 314 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org