21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Spice Storage
Created on: 06/20/12 07:44 PM Views: 957 Replies: 4
Spice Storage
Posted Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I have collected so many spices and seasonings since doing the kickstarts with different sizes of bottles. One of my girlfriends' husband built a small long shelf on their kitchen wall where she stores them all in one long row in differently shaped but similar size jars. Another girlfriend told me she likes the two-tiered turntables. I heard its not good to keep them next to the stove in case they might dry out from heat. Do you think that is true? Where or how do you like to store your spices and seasonings?

RE: Spice Storage
Posted Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I store mine in the upper cabinet next to the stove on a 2-tiered lazy-susan. I bought a large amount of smokey paprika at a spice outlet store. One of the guys there said he stores large amounts in the refrigerator because it last longer.

Posted Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Most spices I buy just small amounts. Spices that I use a lot I buy in larger amounts. Turmeric and whole pepper corns I buy in bulk and keep in the fridge except for a small container on the spice rack. I never thought there was much difference in organic spices, but organic black pepper is SO much better. You can smell the difference when you're grinding it and it has a richer flavor, at least to me.

Most spice storage directions say to store in a cool, dark place. I have a rack on the wall, away from the stove where I keep the ones I use most often, the rest are in the cabinet next to the stove, 2 tier lazy susan.

While we're talking about spices, one of my favorites that I use everyday on something is Simply Organic brand all-purpose seasoning. It contains onion, garlic, black pepper, parsley, celery seed, tomato powder, basil, thyme, oregano, sage, coriander. It's good on veggies, potatoes, in soups - you name it. Just a good all around, versatile seasoning.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I buy all my spices in bulk and store them in a cabinet in glass jars. the cabinet has a lazy susan for things I use the most and tier shelves for things I only use once in a while. I try not to buy in large quantities because fresh dried spices are the best.spices are like any whole foods, light and heat will effect the flavor.

Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

hubby built us a wall rack for them because we have odd size re-purposed jars and such - for instance, we buy a salt-free chili powder from the spice bins at the co-op and bring our own salsa jar (well washed out) to store it in. The shelves are salsa-jar deep and double that in height (roughly, maybe a little more). It's just plain old 2x4 type lumber from the hardware store (non-pressure treated) that he cut to fit a particular wall space (an odd jut in the wall where a doorway used to be), attached with long wood screws, and then screwed into the wall. Took him all of a couple hours at most and just a couple dollars of lumber and screws.

--Deb R

Edited 06/26/12 1:10 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 449 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org