21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Yogurt
Created on: 09/28/12 08:35 AM Views: 416 Replies: 2
Yogurt
Posted Friday, September 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I love Greek yogurt - plain non-fat with some fresh fruit, granola, and/or jam (particularly in winter when fresh berries and such aren't as inexpensively available). The only non-dairy options I've found so far are soy and coconut. I don't do well with large amounts of soy (soy milk, tofu, tempeh) so that was out. And the coconut was too sweet, too gelatinous, just not my cup of tea. So, I'd like to make my own yogurt. I know it's possible to do with just a crockpot but that takes a lot of watching over. I'm thinking about a yogurt maker so I can use almond milk (our preference) to make my own without having to keep too close an eye on things.

Does anyone have a favorite yogurt maker? favorite recipe/procedure? Any caveats or helpful tips?

Thanks
--DebR

RE: Yogurt
Posted Friday, September 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Deb

My sister made her own for a while, a noncook at that, and it took some tweaking to get it right. The only thing I do now about nondairy yogurts is don't try the new almond one. I did and it was so bad, even I[u] did not eat it!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

RE: Yogurt
Posted Friday, September 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Thanks. I'm willing to tweak and experiment to get it where I like it, but I'm not willing to babysit the crockpot for a whole day to make sure the temperature is good.
--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 61 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: bewise88

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org