21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Can't lose any more weight...
Created on: 05/02/12 04:01 PM Views: 2026 Replies: 10
Can't lose any more weight...
Posted Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I too lost 10 lbs. the first time through 21 Days, but since then I have not lost any more weight. I have been through another 21 days and have not lost another pound...I maintained a vegan diet through another 3 weeks, and still no more weight loss, and now am going through 21 days again hoping to lose again, but not very hopeful as it seems like I am stuck and going to stay stuck-I have 20 lbs. more to lose. really could use some help. I don't cheat, and I am very consistent with the plan.

RE: Can't lose any more weight...
Posted Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Are you eating processed foods?
Foods high in added oils?
Sugar?

Many foods are vegan, but not necessarily weight-loss friendly.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM

No not at all in fact I took Dr. Popper's wellness 101 coarse on vegan lifestyle, and I follow everything exceptionally! I have been told I am diet resistant. I don't know why; maybe because I was an Atkins. advocate for many years until it stopped working. I am seriously stumped..

Posted Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Maybe Susan will chime in and offer some suggestions. I've never heard of "diet resistant."

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Hi,

Check out this site and use the words maximum weight loss in the search area

http://www.drmcdougall.com/store_mwl.html

Dr. McDougall's wife Mary has articles as well as books on this. I too am resistant to weight loss. If I follow their guidelines on eliminating fat to the letter then I lose. A tiny slip and I maintain. Simple as that. I am about 23 pounds from my weight goal and if I slip with any nutbutters or a handful of nuts, avocado etc... my weight stays the same. If I am super careful I lose weight consistently.

Good luck and best wishes!
Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, May 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Oceandog wrote:

Hi,

Check out this site and use the words maximum weight loss in the search area

http://www.drmcdougall.com/store_mwl.html

Dr. McDougall's wife Mary has articles as well as books on this. I too am resistant to weight loss. If I follow their guidelines on eliminating fat to the letter then I lose. A tiny slip and I maintain. Simple as that. I am about 23 pounds from my weight goal and if I slip with any nutbutters or a handful of nuts, avocado etc... my weight stays the same. If I am super careful I lose weight consistently.

Good luck and best wishes!
Kym

Yes, I think it's an especially common problem for women who've had 2 or more kids. Something to do with a mother's body holding onto it's reserves in case the mother needs to nurse a baby in famine times.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, May 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I fit that description! Two kids...now a grandma of two!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, May 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

That must be it, Kym. This biological mechanism.

I wonder if Amead falls into this category also.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM

No just 1 biological child but 3 adopted-2, 4, and 10 mos.! You would think I would be thin from sheer exhaustion! I'm careful about fat and oil but will check out the site. I was thinking maybe need to cut portions-eat smaller beans and brown rice maybe more fresh vegs. Will let you know how it goes, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.

Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Amead702 wrote:

No just 1 biological child but 3 adopted-2, 4, and 10 mos.! You would think I would be thin from sheer exhaustion! I'm careful about fat and oil but will check out the site. I was thinking maybe need to cut portions-eat smaller beans and brown rice maybe more fresh vegs. Will let you know how it goes, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.

Yes, if you've gotten into a higher whole grains and legumes habit, then filling your plate with more veggies and a little less grain can help. I know that if I start falling into a more grain-based eating pattern (lots of brown rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta; less leafy greens and other non-starchy veggies) I do tend to hold onto pounds. I may not gain anything back but I don't lose as steadily either.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, May 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Are you exercising? Try training for a 1/2 marathon or something--it will force you to train and make you convert fat to muscle, which increases your metabolism.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 265 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org