21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Oil
Created on: 01/06/13 05:26 AM Views: 4800 Replies: 25
Oil
Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 5:26 AM

I understand why we're not cooking with oil, but I'm finding it hard to 'think outside of the box' with traditional recipes I've got. I love the River Cottage 'Veg Every Day' cookbook, but Hugh F.W. always uses oil. Is it just a case of getting used to a different taste? Got people coming for dinner today and not sure I can pull off a delicious main course without the oil!

RE: Oil
Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM

We're not cooking with oil? I used coconut oil and flax seed. Why aren't we cooking with oil?

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I am using small amounts of oil (as small as I can get away with) for certain recipes.
Sometimes it makes the difference between my family accepting or rejecting a meal. Last night I made patties out of the leftover lentil soup, I don't think my family would have eaten lentil soup for another meal but they devoured the patties.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM

There are lots of recipes where the absence of oil is simply not noticeable. If it is a matter of sauteing in oil, this is easily done without it or with water/broth instead. If it is a baking recipe, I'll use apple sauce or plant-milks in place of the oil.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

anita wrote:

Why aren't we cooking with oil?

Oil is FULL of fat, and this is a low-fat vegan lifestyle. Oil is vegan, but try to minimize your use of it for better results in health and weight loss.

Watch this video by Jeff Novick talking about oil...

The Pam Scam

Edited 01/06/13 9:05 AM
Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Everyone doesn't do this, but when I see oil as part of the recipe I either ignore it completely or add the same amount in water and the food turns out wonderful.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I did away with oil two years ago. It is so easy to sauté in water and use substitutes (apple sauce etc) in baking. Plus there is a bonus - clean up is so much easier. No more gunk build up on the exhaust fan!

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Eliminating expelled oil - which, when you think about it, is really a junk food: all the fiber and nutrition (except for calories pretty much!) stripped away, leaving fat to add to wear - especially for those of us predisposed to easily add fat stores.

Susan's advice is great and it's what I do - I steam fry veggies in vegetable broth and it is SO savory, you won't miss the oil at all - or the weight it adds!

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

[quote="Jodie
Watch this video by Jeff Novick talking about oil...

The Pam Scam[/quote]

Thanks Jodie....I think

I've watch two more video's regarding oil. What a great site this is.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

veganer wrote:

Everyone doesn't do this, but when I see oil as part of the recipe I either ignore it completely or add the same amount in water and the food turns out wonderful.

This is what I do too. Easy way to keep good recipes but make them low fat.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. Will check out the video.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I've tried cooking veggies without oil and I haven't been too successful. I have stainless steel pans and an older dutch oven. Is it because I'm not using enough water or broth?

Also, how do people make salad dressings without oil that don't taste too vinegary? Do you just replace the oil with water?

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I haven't used oil in a long time. I mostly use stainless steel pans with water. Just watch it closely and add more as needed. My daughter insists on stir-frying with oil - what a mess that makes! One pan was so black with burnt on oil, it was a beast to clean (I made her do it). When food does burn with my water method (usually by sticking to the side of my skillet, it cleans up very easily!

For salad dressing, I learned a trick from Bryanna Clark Grogan's Almost Fat Free Vegan. Mix 1 cup cold water with 2 t arrowroot and cook til thick. Use to replace oil in dressings - I also have used it in pesto. My favorite dressing is from the Engine 2 Diet book, called E2 Basic. It calls for wheat germ, which I don't use. I do add a little guar gum, which thickens it. You could probably try water and guar gum instead of oil in your favorite recipe.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM

I just watched the video Pam Scam....oh my life! How stupid have I been? In fact, I got a book out of the library a couple of years ago - The Pink Ribbon Diet - where the dietician who had written the book claimed it helped breast cancer survivors lose weight and lower breast cancer return rates. I haven't had breast cancer but was convinced it would be a healthier way of eating. One of the author's claims was that you needed to be cooking with olive oil to get these health benefits. I certainly had the tastiest of meals, but...well, you can guess, I certainly didn't lose weight!!
I'm going to make my husband watch that video tonight; he loves cooking with olive oil and our daughter also needs to lose weight. I don't understand the qualifications after Jeff Novik's name - MS, RD; can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Masters in Science and Registered Dietitian

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM

In oil free cooking the pan can make the difference.

The one I find I use the most for sautéing and pancakes is Orgreenic. It has a ceramic surface so you will need to use wooden utensils with it. It is the "As seen on TV" one that cost about $19 at most stores. Virtually no stick and very easy clean-up.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM

nat4crim wrote:

Also, how do people make salad dressings without oil that don't taste too vinegary? Do you just replace the oil with water?

I just make stuff up. My current favorite concoction is 3 parts apple cider vinegar, 2 parts maple syrup, 1 part Dijon mustard. You can make most any flavor you want using different ingredients and the 3-2-1 measurement. 3 parts vinegar, 2 parts liquid sweetner, 1 part mustard, fruit, or whatever flavor type substance your looking for.

If you want to purchase oil free dressing, Whole Foods makes a variey of them under their Health Starts Here collection.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the arrowroot powder trick and check out some oil free dressings in stores for ideas on how to make at home.

RE: Oil and fats
Posted Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM

One of my goals this kickstart was to concentrate on the low-fat part of vegan eating. I think I have finally cracked it. I had a meal that obviously had oil as I could taste it. I didnt enjoy it and felt a wee bit sick afterwards.

I have been saying at every meal several times a day "the fat you eat is the fat you wear". I dont care if my taste changes are truely physical where my body doesnt cope with the oils any more or if it is in my mind. The outcome is the same. I am also not enjoying many of the foods at what was my favourite vegan restaurant because of the high oil content of many of the dishes.

Anyone else noticing that the longer you eat the kickstart way the more your tastes change and you just dont want the old foods?

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/12/13 7:01 PM
Posted Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I'm finding foods just taste better. The spices taste brighter. I am enjoying the ride at this point and loving it.
I am no longer doling out my portions or counting my calories. I am no longer worrying if the food is good for me or not or what's in it. I just eat from "these foods" and enjoy it.
I've dropped 3 pounds. It's not a lot, but it just came off. I'm eating like a pig without the oil!!

This is a fun site to play with your food...
http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 71 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org