21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: What's Cooking
Created on: 01/06/13 07:00 AM Views: 1495 Replies: 8
What's Cooking
Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Need some different ideas on what to eat/cook, what's everyone eating today? Have you tried any new recipes?

RE: What's Cooking
Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

It's a big football day, so this afternoon I'm making cornbread and a HUGE pot of chili. The chili requires about 8 cans of different beans, cans of whole and diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, and lots of spices. I can't wait!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I am cooking for the week today: Black eye pea soup, Raw kale salad, turnip fries, sweet potatoes, steel cut oats, brown rice and im cutting up some veggies for snacks and salads or stirfry.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I made a simple one today. Whole wheat pita bread. Top with tomato sauce, fresh basil and/or oregano, and thin slices of your favorite veggies (I used peppers, zucchini, and red onion). Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350. Quick no-cheese pizzas!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM

What I'm loving a lot lately is roasted balsamic veggies, usually red and yellow peppers, onion and mushrooms wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with homemade hummus. I made a cilantro jalepeno one today with no tahini or oil and I don't even miss it.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 5:16 AM

Tonight I had a Buckwheat and lentil risotto made with some left over roast veggies and left over pumpkin soup instead of stock.
Yesterday was roast veggie spelt pasta.
I've had burritos and veggie lasagne.

I'm waiting on some nuticional yeast to come in the post but I've found meanwhile for anything like lasagne that would normally be topped with cheese I made up some lemony toasted bread crumbs I sprinkle on top.

I'm planning something Asian tomorrow. Either sushi or a soba noodle stir fry.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Not a new recipe - tonight is going to be a fav that we've made for the last year or so - Corn & mushroom chowder! We've had omnivores request it, that's how good it is (and we live in chowder crazy New England!) The key is that we over-cook some corn kernels then blend them and some of the liquid they cooked in to create a 'corn milk'. Quickly sweat onion in a big pot with a little veggie stock. Add the corn milk, more whole kernels, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes. Season as desired (just a little salt & pepper is all it needs). It may also use additional veggie stock, don't have the recipe handy here at work Wink Really rich and yummy - taste and texture is like a chowder made with cream/milk and the mushrooms add a clam like texture to the bite. Great hearty winter soup for even non-vegans.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

RabidCarrot wrote:

I am cooking for the week today: Black eye pea soup, Raw kale salad, turnip fries, sweet potatoes, steel cut oats, brown rice and im cutting up some veggies for snacks and salads or stirfry.

Um, RabidCarrot, if you would, can you not use such huge images? It really throws off things when I try to read posts in this thread - they all get squashed up to the right to make room for that big vegetable heart. Awesome image but makes it tough to read.
Thanks
--DebR

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I made this recipe tonight from Leah Lizarondo Shannon, The Brazen Kitchen. Delicious and easy. (I omitted the oil.)

LENTIL CHILI WITH CHOCOLATE

Serves 12

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (largest you can get!)
10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 good super-heaping tablespoon pure cocoa
1 tablespoon Smoked Spanish Paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1-2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped finely
1 28-ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes
10 cups vegetable broth
3 cups French lentils
water as needed
Instructions:

Saute the onions, garlic and ginger in oil.
Once the onions are soft, add the chili powder and cumin. Saute for about a scant minute.
Add the lentils and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil uncovered and then cover and let it simmer on low for 45 minutes to an hour. Adjust water, salt and pepper as needed.
Serve over rice or with hot crusty bread. I also like serving this over chopped dandelion or arugula.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 249 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org