21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Help with Mind Set
Created on: 02/08/14 02:26 PM Views: 1004 Replies: 8
Help with Mind Set
Posted Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I have joined this Kickstart program a few times now but after a week or so my taste buds and mind call out for my favorite foods. It's almost devastating to realize I'll never be able to eat things I once loved. I'm finding it really difficult to curb my cravings.

Therefore, I think "oh, just this once" so I go out to eat SAD food. Of course, that starts the downward spiral and then it's so much harder to get back on track again. What methods/tricks do you employ to stop falling back into bad habits?

RE: Help with Mind Set
Posted Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Try not to get hung up on being perfect in your diet changes. One slip up doesn't need to equate total failure. Instead, concentrate on your successes! Let each time you make a good choice help to boost you and give you confidence in your ability to reach your goal. If it takes you more than 21 days to change your eating habits, so what? Go to the library to check out some books on vegan eating to learn more about it.

Jen

Posted Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Sometimes its hard to buy new or different plant based foods and prepare them for the first time. It's intimidating because you may not know whether you'll like them. Another idea is to find vegan restaurants where you can try new dishes. That might help you find new favorites you want to cook for yourself.

email
Posted Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Sometimes its hard to buy new or different plant based foods and prepare them for the first time. It's intimidating because you may not know whether you'll like them. Another idea is to find vegan restaurants where you can try new dishes. That might help you find new favorites you want to cook for yourself.

email
Posted Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM

One trick could be to find vegan equivalents to SAD foods. For example, I was having a hard time moving away from cheese. I kept doing the things that you've mentioned - having a cheese-filled dish "just this once" and then totally falling off the vegan bandwagon.

But then I found some non-dairy cheeses that I actually liked (and I also found some vegan restaurants that serve cheesy dishes that are totally vegan). I know that these vegan alternatives are still very high in fat and they're not the healthiest things to be eating, but they work amazingly well as transition foods.

It took some experimenting (there are some non-dairy cheeses that I don't like at all), but after I found some options that I liked, my dairy cravings suddenly became a non-issue.

I knew that I could be vegan, and could try to mainly eat healthier options, but that if a strong craving hit for the familiar comfort of mac & cheese, I knew I could satisfy that craving while still staying totally vegan.

Of course, the long-term goal is to eat more healthy most of the time, but this trick of mine has helped me to stay totally vegan (and to continue to move towards a much healthier way of eating) while not feeling deprived at all.

Hope this helps Smile

Posted Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM

If I get how it is made and the cost it has on everyone, I find it easier to pass on it.

Watching documentaries, reading books on food sustainability, getting involved in the politics of food, finding new favorite foods and keeping them readily available works for me.

And I feel amazing!

I hope this helps.

Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 7:30 AM

HI,
I guess what really helped for me...

1) Watch a couple of those graphic movies on how food is actually produced. For me and my husband we only needed to see them once. After that we determined we just didn't want to be part of that at all. Nor did we feel it was a healthy way to eat. Now are we saying that in the summer when we smell burgers or steaks on the neighbors grill that it doesn't smell good? No it does smell good, but we really don't want it.

2) health numbers at the doctors have greatly changed for the better.

3) vegan substitutes for those favorite foods. Like ours was a ruben sandwich.. now i use tempeh, lots of sauerkraut, and a thousand island dressing from drews.

4) it is always easier to stick with the plan if you are not hungry.. so don't skip meals.. eat regularly.. and have a plan. that might include having something that you like, ready to grab.

Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM

search the archives for a cashew and nutritional yeast based "cheese" sauce that makes an awesome mac'n'cheese sauce (or nachos or over a baked potato and broccoli or as an alfredo sauce if you leave it white instead of adding the red peppers to make it look like nacho sauce). Really good for that mac'n'cheese gooey craving.

It does take time to transition and it can help to have a buddy nearby - online support is great but sometimes it helps to have someone who can SHOW you how to do something that you can actually taste. How to cook a particular new food or recipe or a new technique that you may never have needed before. I also love finding vegan (or at least vegetarian) and healthy eating cooking shows - I've picked up a lot of ideas and tips about how to use the bits I know better.

What helps me is to not think "I can never..." but rather "I can have anything I want, I choose this". I find this Bible verse helpful (1 Corinthians 6:12) "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything." It's a great reminder that I CAN have whatever but I CHOOSE the things that are "profitable", that is, the things that are better for me. Find a reminder of some sort that will help you to remember that yes, you can have X but you are consciously choosing Y because Z (better for your health, the environment, the animals, whatever).

--DebR

Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I was a cheese addict and I had to go cold turkey. I thought at the time how resentful I felt giving up something I loved. Two weeks without dairy and I was shocked about how GREAT I felt. now, going on my 4th year, I can't even stand the smell of cheese.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 302 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org