21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: I'm English & based in the UK
Created on: 11/01/13 06:13 PM Views: 410 Replies: 9
I'm English & based in the UK
Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Hello
I feel a bit of a Billy no mates as I'm English & live in the UK. It makes some of the recipes difficult as I can't get some ingredients (I haven't even heard of some despite being reasonably well travelled & living in a very multi-cultural area).
I'm looking forward to chatting in the forum as very few people here have heard of the PCRM & the kick start etc here.
I came across Dr Barnard a few years ago as I have chronic pain & love his work. You are so lucky to have these amazing resources in the US & I feel VERY VERY lucky to be able to join you - thanks Smile
That's it for now just wanted to say hello x

RE: I'm English & based in the UK
Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM

One of my nephews is currently attending Oxford, working on his Master's in pre-med. When he first arrived in England he begged us to send him peanut butter because he couldn't find any there he liked. His father, my brother-in-law, is originally from England but moved to this country a number of years ago when his father came here for his job.

Even though we both speak english, we don't always call everything the same thing. Maybe that's part of the problem with your finding what you need for the recipes or menus. Can you be more specific about something you're looking for so that someone here can "translate" what it is?

Jen

Edited 11/01/13 8:28 PM
Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Hi Jen

Thanks for your response.
I think you are right about the names of things - I definitely struggle with American brand names as we simply don't have them, however there are other things that I can't seem to find such as:

Brown rice syrup - I bought agave syrup which I know isn't the same but was stuck for a substitute. Agave is very sweet but low GI so I thought it would be ok, however I have no idea how sweet brown rice syrup is.

Fruit juice concentrate - the recipes say it's in the frozen food section but no one has heard of it. We have juices made from concentrate but from the description they don't seem right.

Yeast flakes - can't find, I just get blank stares when I ask Wink

Unsweetened applesauce - I can't find any without sugar so I've just been stewing apples in a little bit of lemon juice.

I'm sure there will be more as I go on but those are the ones from my first week.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

I don't live far from Oxford so if I can ever help your nephew with any info / advice he needs on where to find things etc, do let me know.

Carli

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Hi Jen

I think you are right about the names of things - I definitely struggle with American brand names as we simply don't have them, however there are other things that I can't seem to find such as:

Brown rice syrup - I bought agave syrup which I know isn't the same but was stuck for a substitute. Agave is very sweet but low GI so I thought it would be ok, however I have no idea how sweet brown rice syrup is.

Fruit juice concentrate - the recipes say it's in the frozen food section but no one has heard of it. We have juices made from concentrate but from the description they don't seem right.

Unsweetened applesauce - I can't find any without sugar so I've just been stewing apples in a little bit of lemon juice.

I'm sure there will be more as I go on but those are the ones from my first week.

I don't live far from Oxford so if I can ever help your nephew with any info / advice he needs on where to find things etc, do let me know.

Carli

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Hi Jen

Carli

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Test

Edited 11/02/13 5:20 AM
Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 5:15 AM

Sorry for so many of the same post! It kept saying there was a problem!

Edited 11/02/13 5:18 AM
Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Sounds like you are doing pretty well making your own substitutions. Keep in mind our recipe ideas are suggestions and everything is negotiable. Fresh stewed apples with lemon sounds way better than apple sauce anyway!

But feel free to pose any questions you might have. We'll do our best to come up with ideas.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Welcome! "Billy no mates" is a new one to me, and just might be the cutest thing I've ever heard.

I wanted to let you know that brown rice syrup is not very sweet compared to other sweeteners. Maybe substitute with half the amount of agave syrup? I've settled on coconut sugar as the best option. It's dried coconut nectar. I'm searching over here in Texas for for date sugar but haven't been able to find it yet.

Good luck to you!

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Oh, and here's a link to a great website with a video comparing different sweeteners:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-healthiest-sweetener/

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 325 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org