21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: I'm doing the Kick-Start but should my Family
Created on: 11/01/13 06:28 PM Views: 486 Replies: 3
I'm doing the Kick-Start but should my Family
Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I need to loose weight, I am at least 35lb overweight & I am not fit. I had a baby (put on loads of weight) & have shifted about 18lb but have completely plateaued. I am always tired (I have chronic pain following a major car crash which doesn't help).

I have a husband who could do with slimming a bit & definitely would benefit from more energy, and I have a two year old daughter who is not a fussy eater & who is small & skinny (like I used to be as I think that is probably my natural state or at least I am very short & weight hasn't been a problem until the last few years - I believe I've become addicted to the wrong foods).

So should we all go vegan?

I'm assuming that if I follow the basic principles & we are getting all of the food groups on the power plate in the right quantity plus we take a multi-vitamin for B12 then we are covered BUT is that ok / does it apply to a two year old child? I would prefer not to have to cook foods I can't eat (especially while I'm getting used to it), but obviously if I have to do something else because it's best for my child I will.

Any advice much appreciated Smile

RE: I'm doing the Kick-Start but should my Family
Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

When I first started on this (a couple of years before I started posting to this) my daughter and grandson lived with me. My grandson was much more accepting of it than my daughter. Whenever I was chopping vegetables or fruits, he always wanted to be right beside me. I had a hard time having enough vegetables for the recipe because my grandson kept snitching them and eating them! Check the PCRM store, there is information there on child nutrition and vegan eating.

Jen

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM

A simple plant-based diet works for anyone at any age. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetics Association) has a position paper on vegan/vegetarian diets which states that totally vegan diets are appropriate for infants, children, adults, older people, pregnant/lactating women, and athletes, in other words, everybody no matter their stage in the life cycle. The paper goes on to state that there are benefits to eating this way as well.

So adopting this healthful way of eating would be wonderful for you and the whole family!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Hi Jen & Susan
Thanks for the reassurance.
We will be doing the plan as a family, so no need to cook two meals & no need to worry about temptations at home - phew.
Best wishes
Carli

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 131 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org