21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Soy dangers
Created on: 01/07/13 12:21 PM Views: 1290 Replies: 5
Soy dangers
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Reading articles on the the dangers of unfermented soy. How truthful are these claims?

RE: Soy dangers
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Depends. Some sources go overboard in the dangers while others go overboard on the benefits - and truthfully the Westernized world tends to go overboard on a lot of things "if a little soy is good, I'll eat a pound of it per day..." Fermenting is not, IMO, the biggest issue. What is, is the processed broken apart forms. Edamame is not fermented and some folks love it and there's no harm in it to them (as an example). But, there are products that use "Fractionated soy protein" and that just scares me at what they did to get to that product and what that piece of soy might do without all the other balancing components of whole soy.

For me, anything more than the trace amounts that get in through a few commercial products we use, is more than I can manage without hormonal 'disruption' (PMS out of season). Other folks use soy milk daily or eat tofu regularly and have no problems.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Thanks, the hormonal distruption is my biggest concern. I have only been on the program fully for week, but I would imagine that at this point if soy would be adverse to me I would know it.

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

pvb2013 wrote:

Thanks, the hormonal distruption is my biggest concern. I have only been on the program fully for week, but I would imagine that at this point if soy would be adverse to me I would know it.

Yeah, took me just 3 days of having soy milk on my breakfast cereal (so, less than 1/2 cup serving per day) to start noticing it. But then too I'm also hypothyroid and that plays a part as well. If it doesn't bother you, great. If it does, there are plenty of other beans/protein sources and plant milks out there.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

PCRM has a fact sheet on soy. You can see it here:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/soy-and-your-health

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Yay for soy! Great to hear about this.

I've been trying soya milk from Asian food and health stores, they seem a lot less un-processed...for what it's worth! but I do think a little bit Silk soy creamer and un-sweetened Silk soya milk is great.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 79 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: chasexkm

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org