21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: bone density test and vitamin D
Created on: 01/25/12 08:30 PM Views: 1348 Replies: 6
bone density test and vitamin D
Posted Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I recently had a baseline bone density test and was told I have mild bone loss and that I should be taking calcium and vitamin D3. First of all can someone reassure me that I do not need to RUN to the dairy products Smile... also Does anyone know the difference between D3 and D2? thanks

RE: bone density test and vitamin D
Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Have you read the China Study? There is a chapter in there that talks about dairy calcium and protein and how exactly it does NOT help bone loss. Something to do with the body not processing it well, so excess consumption of dairy causes the body to remove calcium from our bones to rid the body of the dairy. It would be best if you read it for yourself so you can get all the information.

If I were to RUN anywhere it would be to get a copy of The China Study! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Have you read the China Study? There is a chapter in there that talks about dairy calcium and protein and how exactly it does NOT help bone loss. Something to do with the body not processing it well, so excess consumption of dairy causes the body to remove calcium from our bones to rid the body of the dairy. It would be best if you read it for yourself so you can get all the information.

If I were to RUN anywhere it would be to get a copy of The China Study! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Ditto what Oceandog says.

Once you read The China Study you'll never consider ingesting dairy products again.

There are many good articles by the plant based doctors that explain how dairy does exactly the opposite of what The Dairy Council wants you to think it does. Cows don't drink milk past being weaned from their mother and they have strong bones. Can you think of ANY animal that drinks milk past infancy? Can you think of any animal, not influenced by humans, that drinks the milk of another species? And what animal besides humans have bone loss?

It's my understanding that vitamin D3 is NOT vegan. I don't know the exact source. D2 is suppose to be vegan. Again, I don't know the source. I would just google "vitamin d3 vs d2" - probably get thousands of hits.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Here are a couple of online articles that are very informative by reputable dietitians:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm

http://veganhealth.org/articles/bones (some discussion on D2 vs. D3 in this article)

I think they touch on just about everything you need to know for bone health while referencing only peer reviewed research.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Thank you for your responses ! I appreciate it and I feel better now Very Happy

Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM

summerleigh wrote:

Does anyone know the difference between D3 and D2

All I know is that D3 gave me some serious gas.

Wash your back

Edited 01/26/12 6:25 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 129 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org