21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: frustrated and challenges
Created on: 02/09/14 01:35 PM Views: 1666 Replies: 15
frustrated and challenges
Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM

i know i should not be so hard on myself... But, so many times I consume things with dairy. And I do not want to, but then I find it out, when it is too late.

I will buy a simple iced coffee only to find that it contained dairy in the creamer, but so confusing as they say it is a non-dairy coffee!

Another thing I had was Ovaltine powdered drink with many vitamins and minerals.
I did not read the label carefully and this also has some dairy, due to the whey.

Can anyone else relate? I do not know if this means I should give up trying to be vegan. But even with these items...all these past few weeks I have given up so much dairy in other ways, and I have never felt better physically and with my stomach. I just feel like, to give up, it is the easier thing so then, I cannot make mistakes and be angry with myself...

RE: frustrated and challenges
Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM

It's really best for your health to eliminate ALL dairy, every trace. You can do it.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

HI
I understand.. and do you think you might be a bit hard on yourself? I don't know anyone in my life, including myself, that is perfect.

Anyhow... at the beginning... what i did was to make sure i read labels and/or questioned ingredients before i purchased or ordered. At the beginning it took like FOREVER in the supermarket. Then after a while, i learned what i could purchase.... then it was a lot quicker because i didn't have to read everything all over again.

So in the beginning, read.. and learn.. cut yourself some slack. It is not all or nothing while you are learning. I would say it sounds like you care and you are doing well.

It is a good and worthwhile goal to eliminate all dairy. Keep going.. it gets easier.

Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM

It seems to me the printing on packages is getting smaller and smaller. I have to wear glasses to read and trying to read the tiny printing on packages for ingredients, makes me think I need stronger reading glasses so I don't miss things like whey or casein!

Jen

Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM

yep the glasses is one of the reason it took so long in the stores at first. Laughing

Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM

It is annoying when it's teeny tiny print, red letters on blue background. It's like they really don't WANT you to be able to read it.

I think it was Dr. Fuhrman who said the main thing you need to know about reading labels is to avoid foods that have labels.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Every time you "make a mistake", you are learning something. That's progress. That's wonderful that you are trying.

I heard that too, I don't know who said it, about avoiding foods that have labels but when I thought about it, that would eliminate tomatoes in cans, beans in cans, vegetable broth, etc. so I don't think that saying applies. With practice, label reading gets to be very easy.

Edited 02/10/14 5:05 AM
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Yeah, I MUST wear my glasses to the grocery store these days. But, the simplest tip (if I forgot my glasses for some reason) is that the smaller the lettering, the less likely I am to want to purchase it. For example, peanut butter that is JUST roasted peanuts, no sugar, salt, added oils, preservatives, I can read the ingredients label easily - it's two words in bold print. The 'standard' peanut butter has a list that is up to a dozen or so words in smaller print to make it fit. I've also become a creature of habit - once I find something that fits the proper profile, I can recognize just the label/packaging without my glasses if it's a quick stop. Every few months, I re-read the label to make sure they haven't changed anything.

As someone already said, the easiest way to not have to deal with label reading is to avoid labels. More and more we just buy ingredients and make things ourselves. Time commitment, yes, but the trade off is more time at the grocery store comparing things and paying extra for the level we want (a loaf of generic mostly preservatives and chemicals white bread is 89 cents sometimes but the loaf that is more like what a homemade loaf would be can run $3-$5, if you can find it).

Stick with it and you can do it. It's a learning curve like anything else. You'll be surprised how quickly it becomes a thought pattern and not an effort.

--DebR

Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

don't give up and don't beat yourself up. I totally agree that that no one is perfect. Just do your best and keep trying.Now you know to avoid that creamer, no big deal. trust me , it will get easier and easier. btw I'm not above asking some kind person to read the label for me, in the market, if I forgot my glasses. Smile

Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I'll sometimes ask my son to accompany me - his young eyes can easily handle the labels and he knows what to look for (he's 15 and can read and understand the ingredients and nutrition labeling).

--DebR

Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I know going in that I am going to make some mistakes and make some decisions that are not going to 'fit' with my new direction. That's true in anything that is new. I don't need to be perfect every time for me to benefit from a plant-based diet. It is hard to find some items, like whole grain bread with no added sugar or sweetener, so I used the one with the highest fiber and least amount of sugar, until I could find the bread I wanted.

Also, I am tending to be a more DIY menu person. I like some of the recipes, but others I don't have the time, ingredients, or inclination to try, so I don't. And that's o.k.. We eat steamed and roasted veggies, and I substitute my favorite bean mixture for meat.

I guess my bottom line is to see this as a journey and to cut yourself some slack. It isn't all or nothing, or good or bad, or right or wrong all the time. It is merely a journey.

Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Yep, I find myself in the same boat. In case I forget my reading glasses, I always carry a small magnifier around in my purse. Now I just have to get into the habit of getting them out!

Because I'm an all or nothing person too and anything else is failure in my eyes, I liked what Irisheyes said: "I guess my bottom line is to see this as a journey and to cut yourself some slack. It isn't all or nothing, or good or bad, or right or wrong all the time."

Posted Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I got a pretty, Victorian looking magnifying glass on a pretty necklace to wear when shopping/reading those little labels..... Smile

I got a pretty, Victorian looking magnifying glass on a pretty necklace to wear when shopping/reading those little labels..... Smile

Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Whimzee wrote:

Yep, I find myself in the same boat. In case I forget my reading glasses, I always carry a small magnifier around in my purse. Now I just have to get into the habit of getting them out!

Because I'm an all or nothing person too and anything else is failure in my eyes, I liked what Irisheyes said: "I guess my bottom line is to see this as a journey and to cut yourself some slack. It isn't all or nothing, or good or bad, or right or wrong all the time."

LOL I don't carry a purse. especially when I'm grocery shopping - having to keep track of list, read ingredients AND keep an eye on my purse all at the same time is too much. I have a wee 'on the go' wallet that contains the grocery store 'discount' cards, debit card, driver's license - the basic stuff for grocery shopping trip - that I keep in a pocket and that's it.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 66 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org