21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: 'drug' effects from food
Created on: 05/20/14 02:35 PM Views: 361 Replies: 2
'drug' effects from food
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_peptide

If I understood correctly: opiates are good in the sense, they reduce pain. Now, our body produces opiates if we exercise? So by healthy activity like running / walking, we will naturally produce this?

Why then, is it not recommended to get these same opiates from foods like this wiki article says ( wheat, gluten, cheese? ) Is the addiction tendency stronger, and truly similar to that of the 'dangerous' opioids, like heroin / morphine?

Is cheese different from other dairy because it actually does have MORE opiates or it contains more of the casein protein?

I shared with LaniMuelRath on here, I was so surprised the 'craving' could be strong after so many months cheese-free. Just feeling down on myself for slips but again I don't want that to make me give up on this amazing vegan lifestyle!

RE: 'drug' effects from food
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 2:59 PM

In a sense, opiates are good, because they make us feel good! And certainly for babies who drink mother's milk, it is essential that the baby be "addicted" to or drawn to mother's milk. Newborns are not going to understand a logical argument about why they need to drink breast milk, so the milk has to do the talking.

But now that we are on this unnatural path of continuing to bombard our bodies and brains with opiates from milk products, we've gotten ourselves into quite an addictive spiral -- concentrating the effects in products like cheese.

Don't be hard on yourself! In time, the cravings really do go away.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Edited 05/20/14 3:00 PM
RE: 'drug' effects from food
Posted Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Thank you Susan! I really needed to hear this, and yes I can be hard on myself always. Thank you for your support. I am trying very hard to practice the 'mind over matter' idea and just really keep strong, reminding myself WHY I am doing this : ( veganism ) not just for myself but for others, if i have more compassion and self-care / self health, I can have more compassion for others and help others too.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 313 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org