21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Chocolate!?!
Created on: 11/02/13 06:53 PM Views: 509 Replies: 7
Chocolate!?!
Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I love it - I make no secret of it, it's my biggest vice in life. I don't drink or smoke but I do chocolate.

I'm happy to approach it pragmatically & I'm very relaxed about continuing to feed my addiction as long as I'm following the 'rules' - it's my little reward to myself for being so virtuous in other areas.

So far I've made the Chocolate Bonbons & have really enjoyed them, plus I had a very happy accident making the Hot Fudge Cake - I misread the recipe & tipped all of the water & sugar in rather than holding back & pouring on top! It took longer to cook as was very watery - so I tipped it into a Bundt Cake tin. It made an awesome rich & seriously moist cake. You would never know it has no dairy & virtually NO FAT (none added so only the bit that's left in cocoa powder).

What have you made?
How do you get your fix?
Do you use carob? Is it good? How do you get hold of it?
Have you used 100% pure cacao? I've bought some but not used it, it's 100% Venezuelan Black! How much do you use compared to cocoa powder?

Look forward to hearing from you Smile
Carli

RE: Chocolate!?!
Posted Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I love chocolate also! No problem with cocoa; only problem is with milk chocolate! (Because of the dairy milk.)

By the way, don't panic if your post doesn't show up immediatly. No need to keep clicking on the save button.

Jen

Posted Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Hi Jen
The site has been telling me that there is a bug & I can't post. Nothing showed at all for about the last 10 hours & now it's posted numerous times! I contacted the tech team with the debugging notice that kept showing & they said they were working on it - obviously they've fixed it now but I had no idea that it was posting! Can't see a delete option :-/
Carli

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I love chocolate - we use raw cocoa powder for baking and such and good quality vegan chocolate chips for baking and eating. We also have a 'source' for roasted cacao nibs (fair trade organic locally roasted). Key as always is read the ingredients label - some "non vegan" varieties actually contain no animal products (Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips contain no milk fat but the bittersweet chips do, go figure), which is good because the vegan chips that we've found are several dollars more per package than the Ghirardelli which are more than the 'generic' type stuff.

--DebR

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM

On the caveat side - most chocolate contains added sugar which may or may not have been processed using bone char (to bleach it white) and that would make it technically non-vegan. It's up to the individual to decide where the line is as far as this sort of stuff. Not to mention the added sugar in general (of any sort), and whether added sugars are okay for an individual. Going for really dark generally means less added sugar. Even vegan chocolates can have added sugar (even if it is minimally processed and uses no animal products).

--DebR

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Hey DebR

Thanks so much - I hadn't realised that reading the label was quite so important or about the bleach!!!
Coco Nibs are a great idea I'd forgotten about - thank you.
How lucky you are to have a local producer!

I've just checked the label of the one I bought & it says 100 % single bean cacao, roasted, so it seems to avoid some of the issues (sugar & bleach etc). Now to try it... Problem is it doesn't give any info on how 1 oz of this compares to 1 oz of regular cocoa powder??

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

carlibeth wrote:

Hey DebR

Thanks so much - I hadn't realised that reading the label was quite so important or about the bleach!!!
Coco Nibs are a great idea I'd forgotten about - thank you.
How lucky you are to have a local producer!

I've just checked the label of the one I bought & it says 100 % single bean cacao, roasted, so it seems to avoid some of the issues (sugar & bleach etc). Now to try it... Problem is it doesn't give any info on how 1 oz of this compares to 1 oz of regular cocoa powder??

If it's powder, it's one to one as far as using it in recipes and such. Nutritionally, it's probably about the same, since straight cocoa powder doesn't typically have anything else added (as far as sugar or milk fat or anything). The label should indicate the nutritional information and you can google "Hershey's cocoa powder nutrition information" to get the info on 'regular' cocoa powder (or whatever brand you usually used). Cocoa powder doesn't have sugar, which means it wouldn't be bleached either - even if it's standard old cocoa powder from the grocery store.
Tip I got from my local cacao roaster - if you want to grind the beans, be sure to freeze them thoroughly (overnight at minimum) because if they start out at room temp, the grinding process will cause them to get sticky as the cocoa butter softens. Frozen, you've got a better shot at getting it all ground nicely before that happens.

--DebR

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

It's a solid block BUT I think it's basically compressed roasted beans which you need to grate or cut, so maybe I should freeze it to keep it fresh?? The packaging gives virtually no information! I'll have to experiment, shame Wink

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 409 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org