21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Shelf life of certain foods?
Created on: 11/02/13 07:04 PM Views: 820 Replies: 5
Shelf life of certain foods?
Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I was wondering about the shelf life of a few types of foods:

Miso (if kept refrigerated, how long would a container of miso be good?) I have a jar in my fridge that I opened sometime within the past month, but I don't know how long miso stays fresh if kept in the fridge.

Nuts/seeds (what's the shelf life of refrigeration vs putting them in the freezer?) I've got a lot of nuts in my fridge, but I'm only one person and it will take a long time to get through them. They've already been in my fridge for a few months, so I don't know if they'd still be good. I've been thinking about maybe transferring them to the freezer. Would they lose any nutritional content in the freezer? Would it help keep them from going rancid?

RE: Shelf life of certain foods?
Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Freezing definitely helps nuts stay fresh longer, at no detriment to their nutrient content.

Miso is a fermented food so it will last a while. The key is to not let anything invade it, so never let water in it or use a dirty utensil to scoop it out, as examples.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Thanks, Susan!

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 5:08 AM

I've never though to put nuts in the fridge as I was under the impression they needed to be in a dry environment. Would I be better putting them in the fridge v's an airtight container in my cupboard?
Thanks
Carli

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I store almost all of my whole foods such as brown rice, nuts, seeds, polenta, etc. in the fridge in glass containers. If you don't use them quickly enough they can go rancid.

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

that's why I love shopping the bulk bins at our co-op market - we can buy just what we'll use in a few weeks and they have a pretty good rate of turnover in the bins, so it's pretty much fresh all the time (sometimes I've even had to ask them to check in the back for a new shipment because the bin is empty, and they fill it fresh right then). We can gets grains, beans, lentils, nuts, spices, etc. by ounce, by the pound, whatever is appropriate for us to use in a reasonable length of time. We can also bring our own glass jars and containers and fill them up - so I have one jar that is just the right size for the amount of cumin we use in x amount of time and when that runs empty, I refill it - no guessing as to how much or how little we need, that one container is just right. Wink

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 372 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org