21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Essential fatty acids
Created on: 02/27/13 07:59 AM Views: 873 Replies: 2
Essential fatty acids
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I began eating a vegetarian diet about 6 weeks ago. For the past 3 weeks I've cut out all animal protein. Initially my skin, which previously was dry with eczema and rosacea, cleared up. For the past two weeks I've cut out all oils and now my face is very dry and patchy again. I do eat 1 tbsp of chia seeds a day but think I may need more fatty acids.
Any suggestions? How much is enough?

RE: Essential fatty acids
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We suggest a diet with about 10 percent of calories from fat. It is possible that your oil glands are responding to a diet with less fat in the way you described. But typically such a response will level out as your body gets used to the change.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Essential fatty acids
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM

This is per Dr. Joel Fuhrman in the movie "Vegucated":

EPA and DHA fat that's found in Fish Oil isn't an essential fat because our bodies can make it, too. If we eat the right precursors, our bodies make it the same way the fish makes it. Walnuts, leafy green vegetables, flax seeds, hemp seeds, lots of nuts and seeds that are rich in the Omega 3 fats, then the body can convert it itself into the EPA and DHA that would have been found in the fish. If you take in too much of the bad fat -- in the meats & cheese & oils -- the Omega 6's, that will compete with the conversion of the Omega 3's.

Jennifer

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 258 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: attackofthe1337

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org