21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: DHA-EPA omegs 3's
Created on: 01/08/13 06:11 PM Views: 1037 Replies: 5
DHA-EPA omegs 3's
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I am trying to figure out if I need to supplement with omega 3's. I have about 1/4 cup of walnuts every day which I know have to convert from ALA to DHA-EPA. It seems like the vegan DHA-EPA omega 3 supplements that come from algae also need to be converted by the body. I am not a big fan of supplements in general. Being a vegan I do take B12. But if I felt sure that it was important to supplement then I would and then the question would be suggestions from those that take it as to what brand/kind/amount is recommended. Thanks!

RE: DHA-EPA omegs 3's
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I use chia seeds as my main omega 3 source. So many ways to incorporate them into food. Mixed into oatmeal, yoghurt, smooties and sometimes i make chia pudding which is just a lot of chia seeds mixed into plant milk or juice or something and it gels into a pudding.

Flax/linseeds also has a lot of omega 3. They sell a product called LSA in my grocery story that is made of linseeds (flax), sunflower and almond meal. It is great to sprinkle onto oatmeal or to even incorporate into a veggie burger recipe.

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I go with Dr. Esselstyn recommendation of a tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal a day (with my breakfast oatmeal).

Here is some info from PCRM:
http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/pv_essential_fatty_acids.pdf

Edited 01/08/13 10:45 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I use chia seeds (although they have gotten to be pricey) just add 1 and a half tablespoons to 12 oz water stir vigorously for about two minutes so they don't clump. Let sit for 10 minutes or longer, it turns into a gel, which I just drink down. I like chia over flax, because flax is so fragile as far as storage. Added bonus of chia, if you aren't already regular, you'll become regular.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Chia Seed Pudding is delicious. This recipe takes care of my chocolate fix.

2 TBSP chia seeds
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
2 tsp Agave
1 TBSP cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix the ingredients and let them set at least 5 minutes - more time is better to give the seeds time to plump up.

There are recipes for pumpkin, vanilla, etc. online.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I use both chia and flax seeds. I have grinder so I only grind small amounts of flax and leave in the fridge for a few days. The whole seeds store longer.

I sprinkle 1 T of flax on my cereal. For oatmeal, I tend to do overnight vegan oats because I don't have time to cook in the morning. I add 1 T chia seeds and they thicken with the oatmeal overnight.

Another way I get the flax or chia seeds is in green smoothies.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 526 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org