21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: sensitivities are discouraging
Created on: 11/03/13 06:10 AM Views: 425 Replies: 3
sensitivities are discouraging
Posted Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I was mostly a vegan, if there is such a thing - for ~3 years but my body inflammation was normally high because of food sensitivities. I ended up adding meat, chicken, eggs and fish because I didn't seem to react to them like I do to wheat or gluten, legumes, corn and some nuts. I started this kickstart hoping things would be different. Yesterday I had the cooked brown rice and millet for breakfast and a great homemade burrito on a rice tortilla containing black beans, tons of veggies and some soy "cream cheese". Dinner was spiced carrot and parsnip soup and greens. I had the banana oat bites for a snack. I thought things were great. Such satisfying food. So discouraging to wake at 2 AM, fingers so swollen they ached, swollen belly and unable to get back to sleep. It is so tough trying to be vegan when so many wonderful recipes contain beans or soy. I did have some green lentils the other day and the did not react this strongly, so perhaps I will be able to tolerate them.

RE: sensitivities are discouraging
Posted Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

There are other Kickstarters who also need to avoid soy and gluten and/or other foods - hopefully some of them can also give some helpful suggestions here.

If you're sticking with whole foods (ie: staying away from processed vegan foods), it should be easy enough to avoid gluten. If you're cooking with things like brown rice, quinoa, lentils, etc, you should be good to go.

In terms of beans, I've read that people can sometimes tolerate certain beans while others can be problematic (ie: some people might have problems with soy products, but can tolerate chickpeas and other beans, for example).

All the best with the Kickstart!

Smile

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Hello, sorry to hear that sensitivities are making it tough for you.

Have you looked at Dr Barnard's Foods That Fight Pain book? It's wonderful & deals with the thorny issue of exactly which foods cause processes such as inflammation in different people.

The book maps out something a little different from this kickstart as it suggests an elimination diet to pinpoint exactly which foods are problematic for you (rather than having to avoid whole groups of foods), there are also specific suggestions re foods that act as triggers for a whole array of conditions. As always it is based on real people & research.

It really is worth a read. Good luck Smile

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 5:03 AM

NOTE: there is also lots of info re foods which actively combat pain.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 600 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org